Chapter 15

The ground shakes and thunders under Delia's body, rousing her from her doze. The writer jumps to her feet only to be knocked back on her behind by the force of the shaking. Instead the girl crawls to the opening of her tent and peers through the folds.

Even though it is the dead of night she cannot miss the sight of large mangled beasts stomping through camp.

Sticks and stones, ogres....

Shrieks and shouts erupt throughout the camp, both male and female. Delia's fists clench so hard the skin of her knuckles turn the color of white snow.

No, no, no....The ogres must be back to avenge the brute we killed earlier.

"Gather your weapons!" Delia hears Rissa's voice order.

Like they have a chance. With the ground shaking so hard no one can even stand, fighting is practically impossible. Despite this Delia watches many a brave man stand with weapon raised only to see them topple un-heroically to the dirt. If the situation hadn't been so serious Delia might of laughed, but now the only laughter is coming from the monsters themselves.

It's a bellowing sort of laughter that emits from the ogres mouthes. A throaty laugh that only adds to the shaking of the ground beneath them.

And then suddenly there's a big ugly eye peering right at her. The writer, startled beyond belief punches the eye and scrambles backwards.

The ogre bellows and stomps wildly.

I-I can't believe I just did that!

She barely has time to think that thought before a large harry foot stomps on her tent, nearly smashing her flat. Delia pulls herself from the wreckage of her tent, taking cover behind a large sturdy oak.

Delia peeks out from behind the tree. Everything is in complete and utter chaos. Ogre's stomp around, smashing everything in sight and people either fruitlessly attempt to fight or scatter.

Both options aren't working. Every human seen by an ogre is scooped up and placed in a large but crude wooden cage. Delia got away just in time. But that's not how she sees it. Everything in her wishes to run off to the cage and let everyone loose. However, her common sense keeps her rooted in place. If she's to save them it won't be now.

After awhile everyone is stuffed inside the cage --all except for Delia of course-- and paraded away into the night.

As stealthily as possible Delia tails their procession, being carefully not to fall because of the ground that quakes with the ogres every footstep.

It doesn't take long for them to reach a gigantic roaring bonfire. Feminine looking ogres sit around it, preparing a humongous cauldron of water. Delia's stomach drops to her feet as realization hits her like a ton of boulders.

They're going to eat them. These heavy thoughts drop into her mind, weighing her down in her worn boots.

There is suddenly a time limit to her rescue mission. She has to save them before they get into that pot. If not they will become human stew to fill the ogre's hungry stomachs.

A tapping on her shoulder has Delia whirling around. Maya stands beside her with wide sad eyes and a grim expression.

"D-Delia, what are we going to do?"

Being pushed into this leader position nearly has the writer quaking in her boots. She's no Kagon, Iglesias, or Rissa.

I don't even have a weapon!

And yet she knows that there is no other choice but to take the responsibility for her own and save these people she's traveled with for awhile now.