Chapter 68

Happy Super Bowl Sunday!!!

~Ashlee

〰〰〰

Canons blast and curses ring in the air along with cries of pain and orders being shouted. Kagon loads each magical canon that Tavius shoots off at the other boat. His eyes swiftly read the weathered letters on the side of the enemy ship. The Dogfish.

His eyes widen with recognition, he has heard of the infamous smuggling ship in his travels, but has never encountered it because of the rare times he is at sea.

Well, I'm facing it now. It will sink.

Blasts of purple fire erupt against The Dogfish's side, taking huge chunks out of the wood and eating away at anything flammable. The men on the other ship scurry about, trying desperately to water down every fire.

"Despite their number, the odds are looking good!" Maude sniggers.

"We can't quite say that yet." Delia says, though her voice sounds hopeful. "In order to win, we need to keep them from boarding The Sea Sorceress. If they do then that is when they can overpower us." She sounds slightly sick as she adds hoarsely, "aim for the men on The Dogfish when you can. We need to lessen their numbers in case they are able to board."

"Haha! I never expected something like that to ever come from you, girl. I like it!" Maude cheers, clapping Delia on the back and then sauntering off to do something else.

Everyone stumbles backwards as a canon explosion rocks The Sea Sorceress' magical force field. Tavius is sure to promptly return the favor with a magical shot of his own, this time shot directly at the opposing ship's crew as Delia had just suggested.

Kagon turns to the girl, seeing the guilt on her face as screams resound from the enemy ship.
"It is us or them, lass. No need to feel remorse for men that would have slit your throat if they had the chance." Kagon attempts to console whilst loading up another canon.

Her eyes are vacant and detached as she speaks. "There is no honor in war. The Amazonian, Yetska taught me that. I've always believed it, it's hard not to when that fact is shoved in my face time and time again."

Kagon opens his mouth in rebuttal, but is called by Tavius to load the next canon. Instead, he only says a few words. "There is honor in protecting the people you care about." At that he goes to do as Tavius asked, ignoring the fact that he is following the order of a pirate.

The fire between The Dogfish and The Sea Sorceress seems to go on for an eternity. Kagon is surprised that their enemies haven't sunk to the ocean floor yet. There shots are deadly fire-spreaders. Much of The Dogfish is black from scorch marks. The Sea Sorceress, hasn't suffered a scratch, however its magical force field is failing.

Soon enough our boat will be riddled with holes and both of our ships will sink. His heart seizes with panic at the idea of sinking down to Lavidia ocean's depth like in his test at Azuel's hideout. This needs to end.

"This needs to end!" Kagon shouts, this time aloud.

"I'm doing my best, but their boat is a sturdy one!" As soon as the words escapes his lips, a direct hit from the opposing ship has Kagon nearly knocked back on to his behind.

It is then that horror floods his veins like a deadly poison. Before his very eyes, the invisible forcefield flickers blue and then shatters. A huge piece of it hurdles towards Maude. He covers his face, but the magic disperses before it is able to touch him as does the other blue, glass-like fragments.