Chapter 83

As soon as Kipdale opens his eyes, he is overwhelmed by the tsunami of power that crashes over him. It is the power of Gahenna and it takes his breath away. He has not been this close to the chasm in a long time.

Not since I received the Shadow Stain. Kip thinks, feeling the live pulse of the stain on his back as he sits up.

Kip surveys his surroundings, the many lit candles allowing him to see most of the room. Kip sits on a nest of pillows within a bronze cage. The room around the cage is fairly large with a high ceiling and blank walls. The only other item is an obsidian alter at the front of the room with candles and strong incense laying on its flat surface.

I'm in a room in the temple. Kip realizes, dread churning within the pit of his stomach.

Just as the thoughts cross his mind, Kip hears a door shut. He immediately falls back to the pillows, feigning sleep.

"As you see, we have delivered the Primary Sacrifice to you, Great Priest."  Someone says.

"That is good, Rint. And the boy's companions?"

Kip's heartbeat falters and his Shadow Stain pulses spastically as he hears that voice. The voice that had ingrained itself in his mind. The voice of Daqa, High Priest and leader of the Shadowlanders.

Rint's voice cracks with nerves as he speaks. "Unfortunately, they got away." He whispers, "It was the rebels."

Kip can sense Daqa's anger as if it is a lightning  strike zipping throughout the whole room.

It is the power Gahenna has imbued within him for his service to her. His emotions cause it to flare just like mine does when I am overcome with strong emotion.

The electricity of Daqa's power slowly diminishes as he seemingly composes himself. "The boy is all we need." He says at last, deep voice low. "However, I still want the others found. They would make good sacrifices, especially considering all that they have been through to get here. Sacrifices are best when they've had hardship."

"Yes, High Priest."Rint says. "I will do all you ask."

"In the meantime, the boy must be prepared for tonight. He will be sacrificed to the Great goddess as soon as the sunset's vibrant hues fade and the sky turns to darkness." Daqa announces.

Kip can hear the High Priest's footsteps as he moves across the room.

Bang!

Kip flinches as Daqa shakes the bronze bars of his cage as if trying to tear them off. "Ah, so you're awake. Good." The priest says with a chuckle.

Kip looks defiantly into Daqa'a red-violet eyes, the same eyes that watched him in his dreamland of green mist.

Daqa's shaved head glints in the candlelight, grayish skin appearing sickly in the limited lighting. He bares his yellowed teeth at the boy in a predatory grin. "You were awake during that whole discussion, correct?"

Kip doesn't respond, but something in his face must be answer enough because the priest continues. "That is fine, it only means that I don't have to waste any time explaining to you." He turns to the other, shorter Shadowlander. "Unlock the sacrifice's cage, Rint."

Rint steps forward with a ring of jangling keys and sticks one of them into the lock.

This is my chance. Kip thinks, trying to gather all the power his cursed stain has gifted to him. However, as soon as he tries, he doubles over in pain. Kip holds his head, sucking in fast, sharp breaths. It feels to him as if someone had shoved a rod in his brain and is slowly twisting it.

"You think me stupid, sacrifice?" Daqa hisses through his rotten teeth with a cruel smirk. "I took certain measures to keep you contained." He looks over at Rint, who had stopped turning the key with the sudden commotion. "Did I tell you to halt your actions?" Daqa growls. "Open the cage, I wish to inspect the sacrifice."

"I'm sorry." Rint squeaks, fingers trembling as he clumsily opens the cage.

The cage door opens with a creak and then a clang as Kip slams it the rest of the way open as he rushes past the two Shadowlander's.  Daqa grabs him by the scruff of the neck, as if he is a mere puppy and throws him back into his prison. Back slamming against the bars, Kip groans.

"I suggest you don't try that again." Daqa seethes, sweat glistening off his dark brow and upper lip. "I would hate to damage your flesh before my goddess gets a taste." His tongue snakes up his lip and swipes the sweat away before retreating back into his mouth. "Now get over here." Daqa growls.

Kip exhales through his nose, eyes flicking back and forth in an attempt to find an escape. He finds none.

"Come." Daqa snarls, eyes glinting like blood on a knife.

Kip's fists clench, nails digging into his palms as he crawls to the edge of the cage.

Daqa's yellowed smile and foul breath fan his face as he looks down at Kip in triumph. His lips curl into something more sinister as he firmly grabs Kip's arm.

Kipdale winces at the feeling of the priest's leathery skin on his, body revolting against the man's eyes that hungrily stare at his arm. He half expects Daqa to bare his yellow teeth and rip off a chunk of flesh.

"Your blood and body will be the meat and wine of Gahenna. You should feel honored to be chosen as Primary Sacrifice. Your name will go down in history, Kipdale. It will be always known that you were the one to restore Gahenna's power in full." Daqa licks his upper lip again, looking like a snake tasting the air for prey. "Be proud."

Kip's amber eyes burn with hatred. "I am not a coward anymore, Daqa. I will not run from my destiny. I'll fight it head on instead."

"No one can fight the Fates, especially when Gahenna holds the scissors to snip the string that is your life."

"I hold my own scissors." Kip rebutes, eyes bright with a mixture of rage, courage, and hope.

"Fighting your destiny and holding the own scissors to your fate, ridiculous! Who taught you such nonsense, sacrifice?" Daqa laughs.

Though Kip's eyes still burn, a small smile quirks up the corners of his mouth. "You might know them from the time you spent watching my journey. Their names are Kagon of Pik, hero of all the lands, and Cordelia of Pik, a clever heroine and scribe."

"Your friends aren't coming for you, Kip." Daqa jeers. "If they try, they as well will provide sustenance to my goddess."

"But they are coming for me." Kip's smile widens into a grin. "And they too will be wearing smiles like mine as they release me of my Shadow Stain and steal the pit's throne of power."