Chapter 88

Kagon holds his scribe to his chest even as sobs rack through her body and her tears bleed into his shirt. He rubs her back like his mother used to do for him when he was little. He does this not knowing how else to console her. Somehow, comforting Delia gives Kagon some of his own solace.

This is something I can't fight. Kagon realizes. I have to honor this deal that we set forth, otherwise I am made the villain.

Kagon holds Delia closer. Our hero's journey has come to an end it seems...

Startling sorrow overtakes Kagon, but he hides it with a level gaze directed Daqa's way. The priest's mouth hangs open in a broad smile that his jaw can hardly contain.

"Get it over with." Kagon says numbly.

"No!" Delia shrieks, struggling to get away from Kagon.

However, Kagon holds her to him, keeping her pinned to his chest no matter how hard she punches or kicks.

"Kagon, let go! You can't let him do this! Gahenna will have power enough to rule all if we don't stop her!" Delia screeches, hitting him harder than before. "Let me go, you idiot!"

"We made a wager, Delia. We lost." Kagon states simply, watching as Daqa approaches Kip.

The rebels in the crowd below roar as they are attacked from either side by Shadowlander warriors and dragged up to the dais. Qin and Iglesias don't fight, but stand woodenly and reserved. They too accept their fate like Kagon has.

The fire from the torches glints off the craggy rock wickedly as Daqa comes to stand next to Kip. The Priest lifts a hand and pets the back of Kip's neck where the last of his Shadow Stain remains. "Time at last." Daqa murmurs.

Kip's hand suddenly grab's Daqa's and forces the Priest's palm flat against his Stain. "Remove this parasite from me. I am not dead nor dying yet." Kip growls, voice hoarse from strain and exhaustion. "I was just taking a brief intermission."

Kagon gasps in shock, loosening his hold on Delia so that she is able to push herself away. When she sees Kip awake, a beautiful smile spreads across her tear-streaked face. Kip looks down at her and smiles almost apologetically.

"That was not part of the plan." Daqa scowls, baring his yellowed teeth.

Kip's smile immediately falls into a mask of sternness. A shadowy emission of power zips from Kip's fingertips and zaps Daqa. The Priest hisses in pain and tries to retract his hand, but Kip's grip on him stays firm. "How did you use Gahenna's gift when I've bound any power that she has given you?" Daqa seethes.

Kip brushes off the question, bloodshot eyes narrowing. "Do I look like I'm dying to you? Remove the Stain." He snarls. "Or are you going against the wager? If so, I can do more than shock you."

The threat seems to weigh heavily on Daqa, for he nods his head a moment later. "Fine. This last part is the most dangerous anyway. However, please remember that if during the process or even after that if you're at the point of dying, I can still use you to sacrifice to Gahenna. She'll take you with or without the Stain. Understood?" Daqa says.

"Alright." Kip smiles. "Do your worst."

"My pleasure." Daqa grins before looking at Qin, Kagon, and Iglesias. "Hold him down again, you haven't seen the worst yet."
After Iglesias, Kagon, and Qin get into position, Daqa continues his strange chant, pressing his palm against Kip's Stain.