Chapter 35

The great opening of the cave yawns wide like the maw of a great beast or lion. Steady drip drops plop on to the rough stone ground made smooth by many a miner's footstep.

"This is not a good idea, Kagon." Delia says, shifting from foot to foot.

Kagon grins as wide as the miner's cave. "Keep quiet, writer Delia. This will be as easy as gooseberry pie."

"We don't know anything about this beast, we're not even sure what it looks like!" The scribe gives the older man an exasperated look.

Kagon only shrugs off Delia's concern.

He's driving me insane. Delia innerly laments.

"How about you stay outside and catch up on your writing. Now that we've both shared our stories from when we were apart I'm sure you have much to write about."

Delia shakes her head. "No, I'll come with you. The last time you left me alone outside a cave I was frozen in a block of ice and that was when we knew what we were facing. I can only imagine what would happen now."

"So be it." Kagon says. "Just don't wander off."

At that the hero ventures into the cave after whatever terrifying foe he is to face, his scribe following closely after.

Both Delia's and Kagon's footsteps echo throughout the cave with every step, causing Delia to throw nervous glances over her shoulder and grip the torch she holds harder.

Kagon places a hand on her arm, causing her to jump.  "Don't be a coward, Delia!  Nothing will sneak up on me!"

Kagon's booming voice vibrates and echoes loudly throughout the cave, causing her to visibly wince.

"You should keep your voice down." Delia whispers. 

Kagon's boisterous laughter seems almost sinister as it echoes back.  "Let the beastie find us!  It will only make my job easier!"

Delia sighs in frustration, the hero causing irritation to flash through her like a spotlight of burning sunlight. "You're going to get yourself killed one day, Kagon!" She shouts, her own voice bouncing back to her lips.

Even in the small amount of light Delia's torch offers she can still make out Kagon's twinkling sky blue eyes. "If I die then it better be a glorious death!"

The girl's fingers twitch at her side with her want to strangle the cocky man. However, all anger rushes out of her when she hears what echoes back.

Die, die, die.

The voice isn't Kagon's.

"Finally some action!" The blond cracks his knuckles.

Delia feels like a bowl filled shallowly with liquid fear.

Kagon brandishes his beautifully crafted sword.  The gold seems to glow a bright yellow in the blackness surrounding them, slightly illuminating the tunnel around them along with the torch Delia bears.

Delia looks from side to side, feeling as if there is evil within every stretching shadow. She lightly touches her side, nearly expecting to have a weapon sheathed around her waste. She only touches fabric.