Chapter 46

Delia adjusts her new black leather boots over her tan breeches.  After making sure her black leather vest is secured over her stylish midnight blue wrap blouse, she then ties her hair into a loose braid. 

The day before she and Kagon had went out to the market to replace their worn clothes and old supplies.  Delia had seen many of the women wearing a wrap blouse similar to hers, but paired with a long skirt. 

She smiles, it looks just as good with her new breeches and leather vest. 

She had bought the vest from an armory.  Kagon had insisted that she get it to protect herself from the dangerous mission she was going to complete.

I'm going to go onto the island, Paridia, while Kagon stays on the ship.  I can hardly believe it.

Before they had gone shopping the day before, there had been a huge argument.  Heswyn had suggested that Kagon should accompany Delia in the ship to Paridia, but that Delia should be the one to actually retrieve the berries from the island.  This was to ensure Kagon's safety since every foreign man that had visited the island were never seen again.  Only women and the wives of those men were ever reported leaving safely.  With Delia being a woman there was far less of a chance that the Amazons would kill her.

Kagon had fought adamantly on the matter.  He didn't want her going alone, saying she's "just a girl."  However, Heswyn put her foot down and told Kagon that Delia wouldn't be alone and that she would personally accompany her.  Kagon hardly seemed to like that idea any better, but after an hour of heated argument he finally agreed.

And so it was planned that both Heswyn and Delia would retrieve the True Love's Kiss berries from the island while Kagon stayed on the ship.

Delia tightens the sheath holding the Roarian dagger around her thigh and then swings her new satchel over her shoulder. She's ready.

〰〰〰

Kagon grumbles under his breath.  He's been in a bad mood ever since he lost the argument yesterday, but its only worsened since stepping foot on to the docks.  The salt and brine in the air makes him feel sick.  His fear of the water has only gotten worse since he admitted to Azuel that the fear existed in the first place.

Or maybe it's because the old elf shoved my fear in my face when he made me think I was dying on the bottom of the ocean floor.

Hearing footsteps lightly thump on the wooden dock, Kagon is brought out of his thoughts.  He looks up to see Delia and Heswyn approach.  Both wear similar clothes, except instead of a wrapped blouse and breeches Heswyn wears a green tunic and leggings.

Kagon meets them halfway and the three soundlessly walk to the ship that had agreed to sail them.  Their ship is nothing grand or fancy, but sturdy and efficiently.  It will do.

Soon after Kagon, Heswyn, and Delia board the ship and store their things in their bunks the ship --The Oak-- sets sail.

"Come on, Kagon. Join Heswyn and I on deck." Delia says.

As not to show his fear of the ocean his fate is currently tied to, Kagon allows Delia to persuade him to come up on deck with she and Heswyn.

Kagon's skin pales when the sparkling waves of the Lividia are within his sight. 

Yes, my fear has gotten much worse.  He can't remember ever feeling this terrified when he was sailing to Afflon or anytime before.  It's a fear I'll have to keep facing.

Delia goes to stand in the middle of the deck.  A bright smile adorns her face as her copper-blond tresses whip in the wind, free from its braid.  "It's amazing!"  She lifts her face to the blue sky and extends her arms as if she is ready to take flight.