Chapter 51 - Rahne

Rahne

I didn't speak, didn't even really think. The world seemed to be almost completely shut off, and only vaguely was I aware of what was going on around me. Although I knew I was being asked questions, and even knew I was answering them, everything was still too far away to really comprehend. Time seemed to slip away, and I found myself sitting in a corner alone, staring blankly at the floor. Outside, the sky rolled with thunder and lightning, and rain pounded against the slightly rattling shutters which had been pulled and latched shut. Connall, Celaena, and Gil were nowhere to be seen, thankfully so in the case of Connall. Kairys was asleep on a large pillow off to the wall on my left. Hunched over on the table was Charlie, who was snoring loudly. Frowning, I stood up. There was a loud crash of thunder, and suddenly the light seemed to flicker as everyone vanished.

I froze, looking back over the room to confirm I had seen correctly. Which I had. The hair on the back of my neck prickled just as something dripped on my hand. In a daze, I lifted my arm up to see what appeared to be blood tracing a thin red line across my hand before dripping onto a large puddle of the stuff on the wooden floor. Slowly, I looked up. Blood was seeping through the ceiling, forming heavy droplets that looked as though they were about to fall; I backed away, horrified. Lines of red dribbled from the ceiling as the droplets fell. As I backed away, I felt the wall and immediately withdrew, feeling something slightly sticky and warm. Against my better judgement, I looked at my hands once more, panicking as I saw they were completely covered in red. Quickly backing away from the wall, I slipped and fell backwards into the ever-growing puddle of red, trying not to scream. While I tried to get up but failed miserably on the slippery surface, the ceiling transformed into a monstrous face made entirely of red, speaking strange words in a deep gravelly voice that I didn't understand. Transfixed, I stared in complete horror as the monster finished what it was saying, each word becoming louder and heavier until the final one, which made the entire room reverberate painfully. I screamed.

~

I shoved away the arms trying to grab me, still screaming uncontrollably as the pain began to subside. The fear, however, did not.

"Rahne!" someone was yelling at me; who were they? It took far too long for the world to fill in around me. "It's okay Rahne, there's nothing there..." I heard Gil say among what I guessed was Charlie yelling something. Almost immediately after, I forgot they were there. There was no blood. I examined my hands just in case. No blood... still no blood. Yet I couldn't relax, I swore it was still there. Fighting another overwhelming wave of panic, I quickly stood, shoving Gil away.

Everyone looked about as panicked as I felt; Gil was the only one standing near me. And Celaena was the only one who looked slightly pissed. "What the hell is going on?" she demanded. Somewhere inside, something snapped.

"Leave me alone!" I screamed at her, not even blinking when the sky seemed to immediately respond to my distress by roaring with thunder. If Celaena at all noticed, she didn't show it. That was more than could be said for me, as I jumped suddenly remembering the monster's voice.

"Calm down, Rahne!" she shouted back angrily.

"No, just leave me alone!" My hands were shaking; I clenched them tightly. Suddenly picking up, the wind howled against the tree, forcing open one of the shutters. I jumped as they were slammed into the wall. This storm was the fault of the monster, it had to be... the thought only unsettled me more.

"Rahne, you need to calm down now," Gil said as relaxed as could be. I didn't even know where to begin on calming down. My breathing quickened as the shutters slammed themselves shut; I had to get out of here.