Chapter 20- Rahne

Rahne~

I couldn't decide what to do; I had no idea what the stupid thing expected me to do, and now two of us were trapped here. Even if I did know, I had the strong feeling that actually freeing the damn thing was a really bad idea. Worse, at least, than following the voice in the first place. 

Free me! The voice sounded slightly strained, as if it were desperate. 

"DOMUS APERTUM IN NOMINE ISQUE DEUS PERMITTAT," light exploded into the room as the vines were ripped from the doorway, allowing Gil to run into the room. "RAHNE." He grabbed my hand, cursing heavily when the vines knotted themselves back over the opening. 

YOU, it growled, throwing everyone to the ground. GET OUT.

"Not likely, amadan," Gil stood back up, spitting in the brazier's direction. "Monstra te esse." He waved his hand, rewarded with an unearthly scream from the flames as a figure took shape. The demon flickered with the fire, baring its teeth at the three of us. 

"Beidh mé ag scrios tú, Coimeádaí," it spat, voice echoing. The entire building started shaking while the figure grew in size, although unable to move from the brazier. Breaking loose from the ceiling, chunks of plaster fell onto the ground; Gil was unphazed, dodging a particularly large piece of ceiling. Raising his hand again, he began muttering words I swore I could see twisting themselves around the fiery figure.

"In nomine Dei, non amplius aliqua potentia est. Unde venerunt ad te nocte deleo. Qui de convallibus ista rapientes, hic. Aut a nobis ultra non erit vobis in loco isto." The demon screamed, spitting insults and threats as it was drawn back into the glowing coals and finally extinguished. Blinking in the now pitch black room, I could now hear yelling from outside and a loud swishing sound as vines were being cut from the doors. As light spilled into the room, Gil frowned, examining the brazier then looking over at everyone else. "Rahne, don't you ever go off on your own without me saying so, got it?"

I nodded. To be honest, he didn't even need to repeat it; I was never going to try to find disembodied voices anymore. He gave me a strange look. "What?"

"Someone mind telling me what's going on?" the winged faerie spoke up while the commander stomped over to Gil and me, effectively shoving her question to the background.

"WHAT is going on? You," she pointed at me. "You're in big trouble. YOU." She pointed at Gil. "Explain. Now."

"Ah, yes, well see, that was a demon, and I made it go away."

"I gathered as much, who are you two, why are demons so interested in your sister?"

Sister? "I'll tell you later," he said to me. "And there is a perfectly logical explanation; last year, our grandfather made a deal with the devil, and we've been paying for it ever since."

"It called you coimeádaí," the winged faerie spoke up, brushing dirt and plaster out of her hair.

The commander narrowed her eyes. "Keeper of what?"

"It probably mistook me for someone else, unless 'Keeper of Home' qualifies." Gil and the commander stared each other down.

"I think you're lying; demons don't just hold things against their will for no reason. Or ask to be freed by just anyone." I shifted uncomfortably, watching her eyes carefully; the commander's hand was on her whip. Without a doubt, she was good with the damn thing. If I could grab ahold of it, I might be able to at least escape the immediate danger and distract her enough to where I could get away. Gil moved slightly, just enough to where he was in front of me. I frowned at him.

"Commander, you have three minutes."

Her whip was now in her hand. "Before what?"

"Before you will have to fight again."