Chapter 27- Rahne

Rahne~

"Put me down," I nearly screamed, not caring if I woke anyone up, and struggled as if I were drowning. "Put me down!" Getting the sudden sense she was enjoying this, I twisted myself around, forcing her to follow or risk breaking her wrist. "Put me down, cheater!" She gave a short laugh, indicating she did not, in fact, care.

"Celaena!" A familiar voice I couldn't place at this particular moment called up to her angrily. "Put her down!"

An involuntary scream escaped my lips as gravity suddenly took hold and the ground flew to meet me, stopping short just in time. Wrenching myself from Celaena's grasp, I landed on the ground, barely able to keep from falling to my knees in terror.

"Can we at least get a decent amount of sleep before another fight breaks out?!" the commander, I finally recognized, growled.

"Rahne started it," Celaena began.

"I told you to leave me alone," I managed to spit at her.

"Rahne.." I jumped as Gil placed his hand on my shoulder. "Calm down..."

I couldn't even begin to relax, nearly dying seemed to have that effect on me. The commander twitched, something so imperceptible, I wondered if anyone had seen it. "Celaena, leave her alone, Rahne, don't go picking fights. Jothrynn, make sure whoever is on patrol hasn't been eaten, and for the benefit of everyone here, don't keep waking the dead." She let out a string of curses, muttering about having to be a mother. Resisting the urge to narrow my eyes, I took a step back as the commander went back to her tent, rubbing behind Sanguis's ears as she stepped over the gigantic guard dog curled in front of her doorway. Jothrynn eyed the three of us, but followed her lead and left.

Gil pulled me away from Celaena, completely ignoring the murderous looks we were giving each other. "Come on, it's not worth it." Barely containing a growl, I turned to walk back to the dumb sleeping mats, when I heard her give a small laugh.

"Leave me alone," I whirled around in time to see an invisible force shove Celaena back maybe three feet onto her back. Staring, I couldn't decide what to feel about the unexpected incident when Gil dragged me over and sat me down on my sleeping mat. "What just..."

"You've got to be more careful around here, things are happening quicker than I had imagined..."

"But what just happened..?"

"Well, I'm not surprised you don't know that much, but I at least thought you had ''some'' inkling of what was going on here; you're being hunted, Rahne, because of what you ''can'' do. Which is probably not helped by the fact that this is Ellond, and magical sh8t just sort of flourishes here. Like I said, this wasn't the best idea I've had... regardless, this is only going to get worse, so just try to stay calm and not tear the universe apart."

"...I have no idea what you're going on about..."

"It's hard to explain. But other than repeating 'be careful' once more, there's really nothing else to be said at this point in time; besides, you should be sleeping."

"But wait-"

"Rahne, I don't want to have to make you go to sleep again..." he sounded pitiful. "Just, please, go to sleep?"

I pushed down the strong desire to punch him, then nodded.

"Thank you, for both." He laid down, awkwardly trying to position his arms underneath his head. Watching until he seemed to be comfortable, I laid down, pretending I was asleep but listening to everything. Although it was mostly quiet, I still felt like I was being watched. By whom, however, I didn't know. But it was disconcerting, regardless.

Shifting uncomfortably, I had the strong feeling I wasn't going to be able to sleep much tonight. But I could deal with that. Lack of sleep never really seemed to bother me as much as it did other people in Mundanus. Something I wasn't sure was the same standard here. Everything in Ellond was so bizarre and otherworldly, it was a miracle I hadn't gotten myself killed yet. While Gil was partially responsible for that, I knew for a fact I wouldn't be able to last much longer here if I didn't do what he said. Frowning, I resolved to at least try to do better on my second day of being here.

I froze, hearing a low rustle somewhere off in the distance, my fingers wrapping around a stick. What I was going to do with a stick, I wasn't sure, but it beat just using my hands. The rustling noise stopped suddenly, leaving a prickling sensation on the back of my neck. I definitely was not going to sleep anytime soon.