Chapter 68- Celaena

Gil's words echoed in Celaena's head. Was she really going to help? They did not treat her with respect, nor did they like her; granted she wasn't making it easy. Also, this wasn't her place. If the demons won she was supposed to make the best of it. Take no sides, that's what Gryand would tell her to do, and she knows that what her second in command would say.

Maybe it was a good thing she was the leader. 

So instead of rushing out with the Gil, Connall, Brady, and the other man, Alaster, she hung back with Charlie and Rahne. Celaena strolled leisurely through the doors the men had gone through and down several hallways, until there was a stream line of soldiers in her way, blocking the big exit. Looks like they already knew what was outside, and it couldn't be good.

Fine, this was not her fight. Not wanting to jump over people just to see what was outside, Celaena made her way back to Charlie and Rahne, who had come a bit closer and was peering outside a window. A great big mass- an army- stood in the field in front of them, of all different species. The leaders sat on wolves that reminded her of that beast, Sanguis. Gil and the other two men were meeting the leaders out on the field, along with a few other of Divendell's officials. One of the enemies held a conical voice enlarger, speaking to Gil and his people as they walked closer. It was hard to tell, but Celaena was sure she heard 'demons' and 'demands'. Chatter coming from both armies made listening in difficult.

Celaena whistled. This was going to be a great battle.

"Ready to watch your people get slaughtered?" Celaena asked, slightly turning to face Charlie, whose face was twisting sickishly.

"They're not my people anymore." Charlie frowned, scanning the faces outside of the opposition. She had to know them. Some of them, at least. The three of girls watched in silence as the people of Divendell poured out of the fortress and lined up near the men. A few minutes later the signal was given, and the demon minions attacked.

The clashing of metal on metal could be heard from inside, and while Celaena was enjoying the sight of people fighting with a trained eye, Charlie and Rahne looked sick. She paid them little heed, instead murmuring comments on how certain people were fighting, compliments on their composure. Some techniques were completely foreign to her, Divedell's people were probably more experienced in war combat, whereas Celaena specialized in combat against a small to medium sized group; which is all she's been expected to fight. If some of these people lived, Celaena was definitely going to enquire information and help learning some of those techniques. It was refreshing to see this type of combat.

At least it was refreshing to Celaena. Looking back at Charlie and Rahne, they seemed to be doing even worse. Charlie had tears coming out of her eyes, and Rahne looked like she was about to puke up whatever she ate last. Not wanting to deal with that, Celaena tore herself away from the window they were at, grabbing Rahne's arm and guiding them down a random hallway, away from all the noise of the fight. Rahne stumbled, muttering curses under her breath until Charlie silently wrapped her arm around the girl to support her. In turn, Celaena let go of Rahne and walked ahead of them, looking for an empty and silent room devoid of the sounds of battle.

After several minutes and backtracking, Celaena found what seemed to look like a lounge area. Several chairs and soft sofas sat around the room; there were a few games, and many bookshelves. Rahne and Charlie sat down in front of a chess board while Celaena decided to explore, running her hands over the volumes of books. Many of them sounded and looked fictional, but Celaena was not completely sure, considering she had previously thought Daemons were fictional as well. She took down an interesting one, Magical Poems of Life & Death, intent to find out if they were actually magical or not, when out of the corner of her eye the glint of a mirror captured her attention.