Chapter 2- Seraphina

Seraphina~

Lazily, I flicked my whip around as I lay in the field next to our home in Mundanus.  The blades of grass were sticking against my shirt and pricking me every time I turned.  I could only think about how my father had promised to bring me hunting later today, if we had the time for it.  It was about time I put my archery and knife-throwing skills to the test.  Maybe the whip would come in handy too.

I took the whip in my hands and began to wrap and unwrap it around my arm, absentmindedly.  I felt as if I was missing something in my life, but I wasn’t exactly sure what it was.  Missing adventure?  Nope, I already had tons of that.  Romance?  Pfft.  Girls don’t need a romantic partner in order to survive their daily lives.  I shook my head as I thought of the mortals in here in Mundanus.  Most of the teenage girls had a boyfriend, as they called it.  Female warriors don’t need other men to defend them.

When I finally thought that the prickling of the grass had gotten too annoying, I got up and slipped back inside the house.  Mother and Father were still asleep, although to admit, it still was pretty early in the morning.  I loved waking up early.  It gave me plenty of time to clean up my room and prepare for the day.

Since we resided in Mundanus at the present, we tried to act as mundane as possible.  No weapons, no magic, nothing.   But sometimes, Father couldn’t help but start up a fire with one little spark, since he was so impatient.  He wasn’t the kind of person to sit by and nurse the spark into a small flame, and then to a blaze in the fireplace, and honestly, I couldn’t blame him.  Fire faeries were very impatient.

I stepped into the kitchen and rummaged through the refrigerator for something to eat.  Mother had always wanted me to learn how to cook, but Father argued with her, saying that I didn’t need to know how to cook.  He thought that warriors only needed to know how to fight, and nothing else.  Well, he was wrong.

In a matter of months, I learned to cook, do the dishes and the laundry, and pretty much anything that had to do with being a woman.  Sewing and knitting?  Yes, I learned that too.   It was best to know all things when it came to being a girl.  I didn’t like it, but who said I had to?  Life is life, and life can be quite a demon. Here in Mundanus, I never went to school.  In Ellond, we were rich, but here in Mundanus, we’re quite poor.  Father has the job of a blacksmith, which isn’t a hard job for him.  He’s a fire faerie after all.  Mother has night shifts at a gas station, which doesn’t get much pay either.  I, on the other hand, don’t have a job here.  But in Ellond, it’s an entirely different story. Back in Ellond, I’m a Commander of the Faerie Army.  Proud to be so, I’ll admit.  It took a long while to earn my rank, but with my father on the Faerie Council, it wasn’t as hard as it could have been.  At the present, I was in charge of about 300 other faerie warriors in the army.  All we did was train, train, and train, since there were no battles to be fought.  But after the horrid war between the faeries and the sidhe hundreds of years ago, no one wanted to be caught off guard again.  And so the Faerie Army was put together and so on.

As I was pulling a few items out of the refrigerator, Father walked into the kitchen.

“Good morning,” I said in greeting without turning around to look at him.

There was a moment of silence before he finally spoke.  “We’re called back to Ellond.”

I glanced up at him.  “Another meeting of the Faerie Council?”

He nods, but says, “Not just a normal meeting, my daughter.  It’s an emergency meeting.”