Chapter 56- Celaena

Celaena's POV

It occurred to Celaena early in their big flee from the city that if the others could fly, or were not scared of flying, that they could have accomplished their goals faster. What is the point of stopping for every fight if you could just fly above it? She stayed a few feet in the air, not wanting to make small talk with Gil, Connall, or the others. Though the pill had helped her nausea and cleared most of her mind, she still was suffering from a pounding headache and some aches throughout her body. That could have been a result of the fighting; she was vaguely aware of fighting something after her drinks, something smaller than her, it hadn't talked much...a formidable opponent.

A howling pierced her thoughts, sending her into an annoyed spin, looking for the culprit. Why, if it was Charlie trying to start something, Celaena was going to have a field day and none of the others would be able to stop her, not even Gil. It wasn't Charlie though, she looked; the sound came from behind them. Sure enough, it was that hooded guy that was chasing Rahne and Gil. He had a wolf with him, not as huge as Sanguis, but definitely large. The wolf was sniffing the group out, a few lengths away. The others definitely heard the wolf, but they seemed to peering around like the animal was hidden by bushes. She considered telling them to prepare for a fight, but deemed it unnecessary. Celaena could handle a wolf alone. Besides, they needed time to get farther away from the hooded guy, they were slower on foot.

The bo shurikens hidden on waist band demanded attention, but Celaena reached for two daggers instead. She did not have the best aim when it came to range- not that she would ever admit that- but it was an important part of the whole assassin gig. The only reason she did not have to rely on her range skills is because she was sneaky enough to face the target before they even realized they were a target. She went into the tops of the trees, out of sight, and relocated the wolf. It was closer to Charlie, who was bringing up the rear of the group like usual. She maneuvered around the trees until she was right over the wolf, and then folded her wings in, dropping face first like a stone.

The wolf did not see her coming until the last minute. Celaena sprawled her wings out to contain her fall, landing on top of the wolf, who must have fallen from the sudden weight, and she immediately recoiled, stabbing the wolf with both blades in its throat until the hilts touched skin. The thing let out a growl and tried to bite her before it faded and Celaena's daggers flew towards her own skin, almost stabbing herself in the surprise of the missing wolf.

Celaena stared at the spot the wolf just occupied, slowly sheathing her daggers while pulling out Corruption and Void to stand ready for a fight. Fading wolves, that had to be a new species, she's never heard of them before. But the wolf had definitely seemed real, she really did stab it in its throat even though there was no blood for evidence.  Celaena ran through everything she could think of, but no creature fit the description. A crackle of leaves sounded behind her, sending her spinning around to face the hooded man.

"You killed my wolf." He said, standing a good distance away from her. She couldn't see his face through the hood and the darkness the trees gave.

"Son of a banshee." She muttered, suddenly wishing she had grabbed the others before taking on the guy's imaginary wolf. She was about to charge when a louder, rougher growl sounded and from the bushes. Leaping between the man and Celaena was the Grim.

The assassin could not breathe while in front of this horrible forbearer of death. It stood at ready on all fours, its red eyes focusing on where Celaena's heart rested. There was not even the option of raising her blades for a miniscule attempt of self-defense. It took a step forward, forcing Celaena to move backwards, she was not eager to see the distance between them closed. The Grim then lunged at her, snapping its bared teeth where Celaena's head would have been if she did not back up fast enough. Shaking as she felt her back hit a tree, the faerie tried to muster up the courage to do something, but the eyes of the beast left her feeling weak, hopeless, and nearly dead. All of her fears seemed to be embodied in the red eyes, something she never thought was possible.