Chapter 5- Seraphina

Seraphina~

A warrior as I was, I couldn’t handle going through a portal without feeling a bit nauseous.  Even my father looked slightly ill.  After stepping back into the Forest of Treymond, we decided to head home for a bit.  The meeting would take place in four hours.  That gave us enough time to shower, change, and maybe even sneak a little nap before heading off into the center of the forest for the meeting of the Council.

Technically, I wasn’t considered a member of the Faerie Council, but I was a warrior, so the faeries agreed that I should stick around for all the meetings and protect the members of the council if an intruder decided to pop in for a visit.  A visit that would end quite tragically, mind you.

When we finally stepped into our house, I wanted to just collapse on my bed and fall asleep.  I was probably going to suffer from what the mortals would call “jet lag”.  Outside, it was dark, making me drowsy.  Time in Ellond and Mundanus were different.  Complete opposites, even.  In Mundanus, it was early morning, but here in Ellond, it was late in the afternoon.

After showering and changing into the proper faerie warrior clothes, I reached into one of the weapons cabinets in my room and pulled out the weapon I had missed the most during my time in Mundanus: the Morgenstern family sword.  It was made of iron, with a pattern of stars down the blade.  Surprisingly, the iron didn’t hurt me like it would hurt other faeries.  The Morgensterns were spared of that pain.

I attached the strap to the scabbard of the sword and slung the blade onto my back, with the strap going across my chest.  With my sword on this way, I could easily reach up over my right shoulder and draw the sword in the twinkling of an eye.  I glanced lovingly at my bow and set of arrows before closing up the weapons cabinet with a sigh.

“Are you ready to go, Seraphina?” my mother asked when I stepped out of my room.

“Yes, Mother,” I replied as I strode to the door and laced on a set of faerie boots made for combat.

The trip to the center of the Forest of Treymond only took about ten to fifteen minutes.  I loved it in the forest.  Sure, it might be quite humid on some days, but it’s still a beautiful place, if you want me to be honest.  The trees and plants fill the forest up with brilliant shades of green, and the flowers add hints of feminine colors here and there.  There’s no other place I’d rather live.

Once again, the meeting “room” of the Faerie Council takes my breath away.  First, there’s a circular courtyard with a beautiful fountain in the center.  Birds perch on the top of the fountain, chirping merrily as the faeries begin to file in.  Past the courtyard is a slightly narrow walkway that leads to the actual gathering area.  All the stone walls of the courtyard and meeting place have vines crawling up the sides, which only makes the place even more enchantingly beautiful.The actual gathering area is what we all call the “Faerie Council Grounds”.  I usually stand in the walkway and guard from there, because that’s the only entrance into the Faerie Council Grounds.  Well, there IS another entrance into the Council grounds, but that’s through the open roof of the chamber.  Since Reilyr Graceling and a few other Council members are air faeries, they’re capable of guarding the large hole in the “dome”.  If anything tried to fly in, it was always thrown back about twenty feet.  It took much concentration to constantly guard the opening, and air faeries aren’t exactly the best at concentrating, so I always keep an eye on the open roof when I’m on guard duty.

“Stay outside,” my father says to me.  I nod in reply, and he offers a small, though worn out, smile.

Quickly, the thirteen Council members stride into the Faerie Council Grounds, and the large wooden doors are finally shut.