Chapter 8- Seraphina

Seraphina~

I take a sideways glance at the faerie, in slight amusement, as I wonder who she is.  I push her again, leading her to the Faerie Meeting Grounds.

The faerie stopped.  “We’re not actually going in there, are we?” she asked.  Her voice betrayed no fear, although I could detect a slight tremble in her hands.

“You can bet we’re going in there,” I say, allowing a smile to creep across my face.  I always found pleasure in scaring people.

The faerie doesn’t move, she just stares at the wooden doors.  I give her a little nudge, urging her forward.  “Do we HAVE to go in there?” she asked.

I pretended to consider not going in for a few moments, but then I shook my head.  “We’re going in, whether you like it or not.”  I wondered why she didn’t want to go in.  Was there something about the Faerie Council that she was afraid of?  Or was it just pure dislike?  I fingered Corruption in thoughtfulness.

I reached out and opened up the wooden doors.  As I did so, I figured that this interruption probably wouldn’t be good for my health either.  The inside of the Faerie Council Grounds was darker than I had imagined.  All the light came from the opening in the roof, but the hole wasn’t all that big.  One of the Council members, who was probably speaking, turned around and stared at us in shock.

“It’s just me.”  My voice rings around the room, bouncing off the walls, and I know that everyone heard me, no matter how softly I had spoken.

“What is it, Seraphina?” my father asked as he stood up, face full of concern.

I shoved the faerie forward.  “I found her snooping around the Council Grounds.”  

There were a series of gasps, ones of recognition.  Ah, so the other faeries knew who this was.

Rielyr Graceling stood up and pointed an accusing finger at the bound faerie.  “You-You…”  He never got to finish before Supreme General Menoroth grabbed both me and the bound faerie and dragged us outside.  

I’ll admit, I don’t like it when the Big Guy shoves me around.  One, it’s almost like abuse, and two, his grip is always tight.  As soon as we’re outside, he slams the wooden doors shut and whirls on us, glaring.  “You’re Celaena,” he growled accusingly.

And a spark was set off my head, as I latched onto the name.  

Celaena Graceling, assassin.