Chapter 60- Celaena

The temptation to attack Connall right then and there was strong, but Celaena had to put that on hold when she heard the sharp voice of the woman from the sculpture garden. The brown braids of hair seemed familiar, and now that she could see the woman's eyes, Celaena's lip curled in disgust.

"Why don't you make us, Rada?" she growled, pulling her twin blades out. She heard gasps come from some humans around and across from them, but rolled her eyes. They weren't worth her attention. Looking back, she could see Gil and Charlie trying to pry Rahne away from the railing, urging her to go upstairs. Connall also had his sword drawn.

"Gladly." The demon answered, lunging at Celaena. Celaena swiped Corruption at her, making her back up.

"Connall, this is the demon who hired me to kill your friend Davis." Connall looked at Rada with a newfound anger, something Celaena would like to use for a few minutes. He lunged and slashed at her, taking on the offensive while Celaena sheathed her blades and ran towards Rahne, opening up her wings and grabbing the girl, pulling with all her might. With the combined efforts of Celaena, Charlie, and Gil, they managed to get Rahne loose, and Celaena took off and out of one of the windows, shattering the glass.

Rahne screamed and gripped Celaena's arms like she was going to fall at any second. "I won't drop you." Celaena assured while looking around at the Capitol building. She wasn't exactly sure where the portal was, Connall had just said up. Rising, she felt Rahne's grip on her arms somehow tighten, as if that was even possible, and Rahne's breathing increased. She had to find the portal before the defense mechanisms start- there. On a little gazebo looking platform underneath a statue, a portal stood, slightly bigger than the usual ones that are made. Speeding towards it, Celaena kicked through the other window, made sure Rahne could feel the ground, and loosened her grip before quickly pushing her into the portal.

Rahne shouted something, most likely a curse, but Celaena flew back down and inside the window to find the other three slowly making their way up stairs while simultaneously fighting at the same time. At some point Rada had gotten the upper hand, and was on offense. Celaena grabbed her knife and ran, launching herself into the air to tackle and stab Rada in the shoulder.

Screeching, Rada managed to kick Celaena off her back, and Celaena was catapulted into two more security men, who were running to the scene with their walkie-talkies blaring and batons out. Celaena jumped up and again ran at her, now realizing why Rada needed her to kill Davis for her: she was not a very good fighter, for a demon.

The knife still embedded in the demons shoulders, Celaena took out Corruption and Void, running back over and attacking. Gil and Connall were almost at the top of the stairs that lead to the gazebo looking area, and Charlie wasn't in sight. After a few more agonizingly slow moments, they were finally at the top of the stairs. Gil broke away from the fight and dove for the portal while Connall and Celaena fought the demon from both sides.

As much as Celaena tried to draw Rada's attention away from the portal, Connall was still fighting and backing up slowly, so all he had to do was take a step backwards and he would be in, but for some reason he pressed forward. Confused at first, Celaena suddenly understood why he wasn't jumping in. He wanted revenge, he wanted to kill Rada for his friend. Celaena was not eager to see the results because if he was still seeking revenge after Rada was dead, then that left Celaena as the murderer, and she wasn't in the mood to be killed by Connall today.

In the background, voices were getting louder and people were running up the stairs with orders to put weapons down. Rada gave one final attack at Connall, shoving him into the portal. The demon turned and screamed as several authority figures came into sight, trying to make it seem like Celaena was attacking what appeared to be a defenseless tourist.