Chapter 29- Celaena

Celaena~

Grumbling and quite shocked, Celaena sat up after the pain of being pushed to the ground by some invisible force decreased. Scanning the campsite around, she saw that no one else saw what just happened, save Gil, who rushed Rahne off to their sleeping mats.

“Of course.” she muttered under her breath, getting up and walking around camp. “No one saw that.” Celaena kicked a rock, having it fly over and hit a tree, embedding itself into the bark. Her attempt at making a possible ally here just diminished greatly, considering the fact that she was tempted to let go of Rahne while being two dozen feet in the air. Celaena knew she wasn't going to actually drop her, just scare a bit. It seemed to work. Maybe she would try to work on Gil in the morning.

About twenty feet away a light was radiating out of the commander’s tent. In front, Sanguis the killer wolf dog, slept outside and covered the entrance. Cautiously, Celaena made her way over there, making a wide arc around the wolf and to the back, where she listened in. Might as well see if she can do something useful.

“I know sir, I just think something’s wrong. The two are strange.” The Commander spoke quietly and fast.

“Fine. Bring them back, we’ll question them, get them checked out.”

“All of us?”

“No, keep a few to watch the assassin. You’ll need to come back though. Anything else for this report?”

Seraphina started to go into details about the attacks, but Celaena stopped listening and backed up from her spot, sneaking around the dog, which huffed as she came close. They were going to keep her here, she thought angrily as she fluttered to her tent. She needed information from Nathye, needed to escape, and the chance she saw just got taken away from her. There was no way only a couple of them would be able to survive without the others.

Instead of going back in her tent, Celaena flew up a big tree a few feet away from the campsite, nestling into a comfortably large branch sticking out and resting her head on the trunk, slowly falling asleep.

“Where did she go?!” Celaena woke up the sound of an angry Commander. Stretching, she jumped out of the tree, landing lightly on her feet before calmly walking back into the campsite with a smirk. Everyone was up.

“Here, Commander!” she spoke up, waving her hand. Seraphina spun around on her heel and stalked towards the assassin, a scowl set upon her face.

“Where the hell have you been?!”

“In a tree. Sleeping.” Celaena yawned and stretched again, putting on a bored look. “I love sleeping in trees.”

Seraphina stood there for a second, with an incredulous look on her face, “And you didn’t think about asking one of us if it was okay?!”

“I know the answer I would have gotten, Commander.” Celaena answered back. “Besides, I couldn’t find the soldier on watch and you were asleep.” There was a moment of complete silence as the Commander stared at the assassin, and the assassin stared back.

“Alright.” She said “Next time, ask us.” The commander slightly pushed Celaena to join the others, who were on the other side of her. “So I was in contact with the Supreme General last night,” Seraphina went on.

“Gil, Rahne, he wants you to the court for questioning. I will be sending everyone but Jothrynn and Celaena back, based on orders. You’ll be leaving as soon as we get supplies together.”

“Hey,” Gil said. “I don’t mean to cause problems, but all we want to do is go to our family’s house. We both just want to be home.”

“Once your there, mirror them. Tell them what’s going on.” Seraphina said. “I have to follow orders. I don’t think he’ll keep you long.”

“Yes, but honestly you’re all wasting your time. We’re not a threat.” Gil’s eyes narrowed. “I have to get Rahne home, our mother is probably worried sick.”

“Gil, you need to go. I don’t want to send you two as prisoners there.” Seraphina looked at him, trying to get Gil to understand without officially putting him under arrest.

He sighed. “I would like to talk about this later, in private, Commander.” She nodded and broke the meeting to get ready, heading towards the forest.

“Wait!” Celaena said, catching up to her. “I want to go back.”

“No, you aren’t allowed.” The Commander said, not looking at her and continued to go deeper in the forest.

“I’m going to get killed here, Commander. This whole place is deadly. I would rather face my crimes at the courtyard than stay here.”

“Than staying here and doing something good?”

“Listen, Morgenstern, killing people to support myself was not my first choice of employment.” Celaena grabbed onto the taller faeries arm. “I wanted to do a lot of things, be on the council, or start another branch of the army, but some people ruined it for me and I went to the only other thing my skills could be used for.” Celaena bit her lip, and the hand that was not holding onto Morgenstern’s arm was curled into a fist.

Seraphina jerked her arm away from the smaller one and regarded her. “The fact that you still chose to be an assassin shows me what kind of faerie you are.”

“Then send me back. Let me face my crimes instead of hide.” Celaena spit out. The ground around them started to vibrate “But you also have to understand that I have killed many who wanted to start wars and kill even more than I have.”

“Listen Celaena,” Seraphina said with a sigh. “I don’t like you or what you do. But if you stay here for now, do your term and not have a fit every time someone goes back, I will help you get out free to go.”

“Yeah sure, only to take it back once we get there.” Celaena backed up a foot, glaring. Seraphina was regarding her, hand on the pommel of her sword.

“I don’t take back my word, Celaena.” She spoke, shifting from foot to foot. “Yes or no?”

The assassin considered her position for a second before answering. She'd rather go back to the court at the moment, but if she stayed alive here long enough...

“I guess there’s no harm in saying yes.”