Chapter 29 - One Oddity Grows to Hundreds

The sound of drums beating had echoed across the entire city.

Wei Wuxian was astonished upon hearing this, feeling a tint of mystery and yet shock. "What was that noise?" Based on his hearing, the player of drums must be within Yunmeng Jiang.

"Drums..." Shen Qingqiu fell silent. He attempted at analyzing the case, but couldn't remember anything of use.

"Who would be playing drums at this time of day!" Luo Binghe fumed in anger. A water droplet slid down from his robes, dropping into a puddle onto the pavement. His burst of irritation had attracted some passerby's, who paused to look at him.

"Binghe." Shen Qingqiu smacked him on the forehead with his fan.

"Shizun..." Luo Binghe cooed. He held the red mark on his forehead with a pained expression, "You can hit me, but don't hit me too hard."

Shen Qingqiu's stern eyes softened, as he snapped his fan shut.

"Gege," Hua Cheng's expression was solemn. "There was something suspicious about the drums playing."

Xie Lian nodded. "I know."

The rest of the three couples knew as well. After all, when the playing of the drums began, they all sensed a mysterious power within the sound. To be more accurate, they sensed resentful energy within the sound. If Wei Wuxian were to estimate, he'd guess that the beating drums were to trigger a sort of necromancy.

The three couples were on their guard.

After the sound of the drums, there seemed to be a long silence. It was like a blanket had been gently laid upon the noise, soothing it to sleep.

The three couples found it strange.

It was as if the world went still.

"AHHHH!!!" All of a sudden, a scream broke through the skies. The three couples were alerted as soon as they heard the scream. They relied on their ears and ran in the direction of the noise. When they arrived at the scene, the three couples were astonished to see what was before them.

A woman laid collapsed on the ground, blood seeping out from her torn open abdomen. Meanwhile, a pale and haggard man had repeatedly slashed at the woman, regardless of how much blood and flesh leaked out.

The man seemed to be out of control. His nails extended out to look like claws, growing sharp and strong. His appearance was most definitely pale and ragged. His skin was rotting exponentially, as if there was a dark force possessing his body.

"...h-help me..." the woman was still alive. Just barely on the brink of death.

She reached out a hand towards the three couples. However, the man didn't allow her to finish, as he attempted his finishing strike-

Lan Zhan stopped the man on time.

His sword, Bichen blocked the strike. The man didn't expect for the woman to be saved, and so, he attempted a final struggle.

Lan Zhan didn't allow him to, as he blatantly kicked the man into a wall.

A large sound resounded in the corridor, as the figure of the man created a huge crack amongst the brick wall. The remaining of the couples looked at the crack, astonished.

Lan Zhan didn't let the man escape. He immediately pressed his blade against the man's neck, then leaning down. "What are you planning to do?" Lan Zhan asked. His face was cold and stern, unbelievably able to make any person cower in fear.

However, all of a sudden, Lan Zhan's expressionless face showed a sign of surprise.

It was because, the man was already dead.