Chapter 35 - The First Sign of Snow and Ice

After a week passed, all citizens of Yunmeng Jiang had eaten their fill of porridge. It was confirmed that none of them were infected by corpse poisoning. Afterwards, the Peak Masters of Cang Qiong Mountain had left back to their Sect.

They didn't need Clan Leader Jiang to send them off.

"We can rest now." Wei Wuxian sighed.

The three couples each sat on the same bench, aligning themselves perfectly in a row. They conversed with one another, while also mulling over some spare thoughts.

"What will we be doing now?" Shen Qingqiu sighed.

"Rehabilitation, of course!" Wei Wuxian piped up. "Many buildings collapsed due to the fierce corpses' attack. We'll help Jiang Cheng reconstruct Yunmeng Jiang!"

All of a sudden, a Yunmeng Jiang disciple arrived before their eyes. "Clan Leader Jiang wishes to see these six esteemed cultivators."

Wei Wuxian smiled proudly. He seemed to gesture, see? What did I say?

The rest of the three couples, "..." Whatever you say is right...

When they arrived before Jiang Cheng's office, they watched the Clan Leader flatten his ruffled clothes and press down a tuff of sticking up hair. Then, Jiang Cheng blatantly spoke, "I'm kicking you six out of Yunmeng Jiang."

The three couples, "..." What did Wei Wuxian say?

"Actually," Lan Xichen interrupted, "What Clan Leader Jiang meant to say is that he needs you six to complete a mission that nobody else can complete." He wore his friendly and composed smile, then began to explain. "We have found a clue as to Yi Ran's origins. Perhaps if we investigate more about her, we can find a way to understand why she and the demon are killing so much people."

Shen Qingqiu was slightly confused. "What are the origins of Yi Ran? And how did you guys find this out?"

Xie Lian was curious about this question as well.

"Coincidentally," Lan Xichen spoke, "There's a person visiting Yunmeng Jiang after the fierce corpse incident. This person knows rumours about a strange town."

"That town's name was... Square Village."

Square Village was originally an abandoned town. Its old inhabitants had died in a wildfire, with the buildings burned and almost completely incinerated into ashes. After the fire subsided, new villagers inhabited the town. They built and reconstructed the buildings.

Square Village was almost as new as ever.

However, at night, when all villagers were sleeping, some said that they could smell the scent of smoke. When waking up in the middle of night, the villagers were able to witness a brilliant sight—a wall of blue flames out in the distance.

Even more phenomenal, the fire disappears in the morning. The blue fire only appears at night.

It was said that the ghosts of the original inhabitants were angry at the villagers. The ghosts didn't want their home to be replaced, so they decided to set the town on fire.

The only reason why the villagers didn't die from the fire was because of one person. Staying in their town is a cultivator, who goes by the widespread name "Immortal". This cultivator is able to fend off the fire, which made Square Village safe so far. However, nobody knows what the Immortal looks like. They only know that the Immortal sleep at day, protect the town at night.

"...blue fire." Luo Binghe paid attention to the details.

Lan Xichen nodded. "Yes. We believe that the person setting the fire is Yi Ran. There's only her so far who's able to set blue fire. We don't know what the correlation between her and Square Village is, but that town is definitely a clue to her origin."