Chapter 46 - Strike of Lightning, Roar of Thunder

The black cat scuffled out of the inn.

It perched on top of Xie Lian's shoulder, watching the vortex of the storm with unease. The black cat's tail was frozen, locking around its stepping stone's arm.

"...this..." Wei Wuxian hesitated.

The storm cackled. A flash of lightning ran across the dark sky, painting the dark clouds, as if it was a stroke of white powder against the black canvas.

The clouds swirled menacingly. They formed around a vortex, making it appear like a black hole, aiming to suck everything in it. "Who in the world is having their heavenly tribulation right now?" Shen Qingqiu was exasperated. At first, they had to deal with the ghosts and Yi Ran.

Now... it was a heavenly tribulation?

Just what was the world throwing at them?

Meow, the black cat stretched and licked it paws, trying to calm its nerves.

"This is bad." Luo Binghe shook his head. "No matter what, this heavenly lightning tribulation is bad news. The storm is too close to Square Town. If the lightning strikes down... it's likely that..." An ugly expression was worn across his face. "Square Town will be destroyed."

The three couples fell silent.

Only the black cat's whimpers and meows were heard.

"Little Snow," Wei Wuxian sighed. "Stop making a fuss." He poked the cat's nose, who glared back as if it was being wronged. "We need to think of a solution. Since the lightning tribulation is here already... we might as well face it."

Xie Lian nodded. "The storm is coming. We'll naturally defend Square Town."

The three couples all confirmed this. They turned towards the vortex of the storm, all running to the centre. When they arrived just below the vortex, Xie Lian suddenly stiffened.

He turned to look at the black cat, locking eyes with it.

"Don't tell me..."

Hua Cheng noticed his abnormality, "What's wrong, Gege?"

The other couples looked at them.

Xie Lian was struck in stupor. He broke out of his trance, then blinked surprisingly. "I was just thinking... could it be that there actually is an Immortal in Square Town?"

The three couples shrugged. "Perhaps. What's wrong with that?"

Xie Lian smiled hesitatingly. "What if... that Immortal is here with us right now?"

All of a sudden, the three couples froze. They shared the same look of stupor, then turned to face Xie Lian. "You don't mean..."

Xie Lian nodded. "What if... Little Snow is the Immortal?"

They all turned to look at the black cat, who licked its paws.

For those that have to face the heavenly tribulation, they could be of any race, as long as they're ready to break through the next realm. This even applied to animals... It was possible for this black cat to contain intelligence, then continuously cultivate into multiple realms. Besides, there were many hints from before.

The black cat was able to stop a hunter's fist with merely its tail. This wasn't something that a normal cat could achieve.

Therefore... the black cat was an Immortal!

"...do you want us to help?" Wei Wuxian was exasperated.

The black cat finished licking its paws. It looked at Wei Wuxian pitifully, with its eyes saying, "Please help me, great cultivators..."