Chapter 40 - What is This? A Romantic Drama!?!

"What are you looking at?" A deep voice resounded beside Ping Hai's earlobe.

Ping Hai whipped his head around. He met face to face with a young boy, who had similar facial features to himself. This young boy's face was handsome, with his cheekbones strung high and a high-arched nose. Although he had a handsome face, this young boy wore cheap rags. He had a similar figure as to Ping Hai's.

"Brother..." Ping Hai subconsciously said.

"Hmm?" The said man tilted his head. Ping Hai's brother was named Ping Sha. Although he had a handsome face, he was born in a poor family who managed a shrine.

Ping Hai, the younger brother cleaned the shrine, while Ping Sha, the older brother lived a free life.

Perhaps it was because of his face did their parents take it easy on him.

"Oh, nothing, Brother." Ping Hai shook his head. "I was merely watching a commotion from outside. It's not worth your attention."

Ping Sha let out a solemn "oh".

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN 'OH'!?!" Behind the scenes, Wei Wuxian yelled as a spirit. Of course, nobody noticed him, since he was travelling through the memories.

Ping Sha shook his head. "I thought that I heard a woman's voice... and a child's cry..."

"Yes, Brother." Ping Hai confirmed. "That is... exactly what's happening outside."

Ping Sha raised an eyebrow. "Why would a woman bully a child?"

This... Ping Hai didn't know how to answer him. He watched his older brother peer out the window, catching a glimpse of the scene outside.

Outside on the streets, a child was wailing on the streets. A young girl had stolen and eaten the child's lollipop. She posed a high posture, making herself appear not to be reckoned with. "What are you crying about? Your family is rich, and here I am, a homeless poor girl! You can always get more lollipops, while I can only steal- hey! What a crybaby! I did nothing and you're already crying!"

The child was picked up by his mother. "Mom~ I want candy!"

"Hush hush..." The mother soothed her child, but not before shooting the young girl a glare. "This young lady... you don't know how to be a beggar properly, so you steal from others. Did you not have a mother to teach you manners?"

The young girl arched an eyebrow, taking the lollipop out from her mouth. "What rights do you think you have to talk back at me?"

She smiled mischievously. "I've stolen your child's candy. So what? What can you possibly do? Take my head and hang my body on the altar?" The young girl stuck her tongue out playfully. "Pei! You bunch of rich folk cannot be trusted! Not only you're mad at me for not being a beggar properly, but you're even trash talking my mother!"

The young girl shook her head. "What a shame. If you think that my mother didn't teach me properly, then why don't you come forwards and teach me? How hypocritical. Don't talk about my mom when you can't even manage your own son."

Hearing this, the mother couldn't bear the shame anymore. She ran away while carrying onto her wailing child.

The young girl watched the mother and son run off into the distance.

A smile played on the young girl's lips. "Success."

Ping Hai was mesmerized by the girl. "Is this love at first sight?" Wei Wuxian yelled in the distance. But then, Ping Hai snapped out of his trance, when he heard a sound by his ear.

Looking upwards, Ping Sha was laughing.

"How amusing." Ping Sha stated.

For some reason, Ping Hai had a bad feeling about this look in his big brother's eyes. It told him that his big brother had just found a new toy to play with. Ping Hai told himself to calm down. His big brother was merely interested in a poor and homeless girl, who bullied and looked down at others.