XXXI. Being a Phoenix

Author's Note: Ash n Cone fed us after a long-long time. 

He saw Heath first

He saw Heath first. For someone who was into fashion, Heath dressed really simple. When Conan reached the lake, he saw him in a navy blue t-shirt, dark cuffed jeans and white tennis shoes. His bright coloured eyes were really bought out by the dark clothing he wore and his dark hair. Once, he had mustered the courage to ask him why he never wore his own clothes. 

"I like seeing people wear them," he had replied a little hesitantly. "I am really self conscious of how I look so..."

At that moment he had very desperately wanted to tell him he would really look good in anything he wore.

He saw Alina next. She had changed a lot over the course of four years. Her red hair was now almost brown(maybe she had dyed it) and her childish face had turned more and more womanly. The end of puberty had seemed to treat her well. He was certain that if he met her again, he would feel his old emotions coming back. He did feel them coming back and that feeling was only anger. 

They were sitting by the lake over cloth and having a picnic of some sorts. Heath saw him first too and waved casually, beckoning him to come over faster. He smiled as he saw him, fastening his pace. 

"Hey," Heath said, he was looking at the lake. For a second he forgot Alina was there too. 

"Hi," Conan said, his heart racing as he hovered over them both, wondering where to sit. "Pic-"

"Change of heart, Conan?" the girl said, smiling mockingly. 

"Something like that," he said, sounding less curt than he had opted for. He sat down beside Heath who shifted to let him onto the cloth. "You are at your mom's?"

"Yeah," he said, nodding and his eyes like the sun stared into the water. "She missed me a lot."

"Of course she did. You're so lovable," Ali said, sounding too charming. Her hand brushed against Heath's shoulder and Conan felt like cackling. This was so much like her. Her physical appearance had changed but not her personality. "I invited you both to catch up."

"Well," Conan said impatiently. "Tell me what you have been up to."

"Nothing much," she said, smiling sadly. Or tauntingly. Conan never understood that girl's smiles. "I got engaged."

"Oh, congratulations," Heath said, sounding truly happy. 

"Yeah, same," he said though he couldn't believe it. 

"To Samuel," she said gushingly. 

That homophobic little shit?

"It will be a July wedding and I also wanted to invite you two," she said, looking into her bag and bringing out two white envelopes. 

"Thanks," Conan said, opening the envelope and looking at the petal printed pages scented with the smell of pink roses. The insides were written in some elegant cursive font.