XXXVIII. Every Bit

"I deserved every bit of insult they threw at me," Heath said as they drove away from the lake. "I saw them beat up kids for four years and I never stopped them."

Conan didn't think that was true. He had saved Martin Cole from when he had accidently pushed Hector in the hallway. He understood that he wouldn't let him comfort him or believe anything nice he said about him. 

"I need to talk to Ali," he said suddenly, turning to face him. He could see the urge to talk to her burning in his eyes. "She can't marry that jackass."

"Alina will never listen to you," he said. He knew the girl all too well. Once she stuck with someone she dragged them until she was herself fed up or the other one moved away to a different state. 

"She has to," he said with determination. "You have the video. We can show her proof."

He didn't think he would bring up the record of his sadness and humiliation. "I never had a video."

The flare in his eyes dimmed and he leaned back, facing the window now. He breathed in and the other felt guilty. 

"As much as I find her annoying," he said after a moment, still staring at the porches and fences outside, "I don't want her to end up like my mom."

Conan glanced at him. He wasn't crying and neither did it seem he would any time soon. He wanted Alina to leave Samuel too. He truly did. But he knew that there was no way the girl would listen to reason without proof. She loved too easily and too much. All those years he had spent pining after her, they seemed to be a blur of memories and emotions but he if really knew and understood her he had to know this: She was hard to convince. 

"I will try to get her to listen," he promised and Heath gave him a grateful look.

For the next few days, Conan roamed a lot around Heath. He made excuses to see him.  He often showed up as the same places he was. It wasn't very hard to keep track of him. He only had three places to go: his home, his mom's store and the lake. Before he knew it, one week had ended and slowly-slowly he was getting used to tailing him around. It was beneficial he supposed once. He could spend more time with him and keep the three boys away. If Heath noticed this change, he didn't show it. He could only hope that he wasn't becoming clingy or annoying. 

One week's end also meant his dad, Greg Gray, was coming to visit him. It was always the same when his dad came to visit. Him and his sister would be all smiles, grinning so wide they almost seemed creepy. His mom and step dad would stay away from him, not being too friendly or too rude, just neutral. He would pat Conan and Alyssa and tell them he was proud.

"You are the only successful bastards in the family tree," he would laugh and they would cringe. They loved him but sometimes he acted more like a friend than a parent, which was annoying to them. 

This time, like all other times, he bought Conan's half-brother and booked a motel uptown. His dad, Conan and Alyssa spent the first three days, eating in diners. His dad tried to convince him to opt some sport or something. He politely refused and after sometime he left it at that. 

"Any lucky girl?" he asked and Conan almost choked on his spit. "Or guy?"

He eyed his dad who was grinning, feeling accomplished that he had acted ever so inclusive when it came to his son's dating pool. 

"Show him the photo," his sister nudged with her elbow. Conan did. It was a nice photo he supposed. Him, Lim and Heath were standing in the sun, their skins glowing so much that it was hard to see anything else in the picture. Heath's arm was snaked around Conan's bare shoulder and the site of it made him breathless. 

"Both of them?" he said, trying to hide his surprise but it was clear in his voice. "I mean that's okay."

"No!" he almost shouted. "Um, it's the guy."

His dad took his phone and analyzed the picture himself. 

"He's got some eyes," he said after a while and Alyssa nodded in agreement, "And a wide smile. I swear to god I have seen him somewhere before."

"He lives in town," Conan said. His dad handed him his phone back. "Janet Locke's son?"

"Ah," he said as if having the most glorious epiphany, "The one who runs the small grocery store?"

"Yes," he said and his head clicked with some facts. "We are not dating though. I just like him."

"That's sweet," he said, smiling at his son. Conan felt awkward but happy when he talked about his love life around him. The way he tried to put on a smile and acted unfazed. He couldn't be more grateful to have him around. "You treat him nice?"

"I think so," he said. 

"He treats you nice?"

"Better than anyone I have ever dated," he said firmly. 

"Have you met him Alyssa?" he asked curiously, turning his heads towards her.  

"Yes," Alyssa said with a lot of enthusiasm, almost sounding eighteen. "He came around once and mom fed him so much of freaking food."

"Did she?" he said, his voice light and not acknowledging any statement that included their mom. He forgot sometimes that they were their mother's kids too. "What about you Alyssa? Anyone you are dating?"

"I don't know what I am even doing right now," she answered honestly and that was just about the most relatable thing Conan had ever heard. 

Alina Pratt the brat but now a victim of sam the mule

Conan:  I think we need to talk

Ali: Hi. i am okay, thanks for asking

Conan: I m sorry. hi

Conan: I need to tell u something

Ali: i am sorry, conan. i am engaged

Conan: ITS NOT ABOUT THAT. GOOD FOR YOU. WELL NOT REALLY BECAUSE...

Ali: hehe jk. so what is it about? and finish the sentence 

Conan: It would be better if we did it in person

Ali: Okay, ig

Conan: The usual cafe. 9:00 am. This Friday