XXXVII. Insults

Calm down, Conan. Maybe they are just catching up. That's what friends do. 

But didn't he assault him?

Conan had been a silent observer for a five minutes, hiding behind a giant tree and just staring at their movements. Samuel did not understand the concept of not shouting. Hector and Robert just followed him around like the stupid sidekicks they were. He knew something bad was gonna happen. Sam didn't just corner people for fun. He left them with at least three broken bones and a concussion. He remembered all the times he had beaten up kids after school and threatened them. He had been surprised why Heath even was friends with him. Maybe because he didn't want to be cornered. 

"Ali invited you to the wedding, didn't she?" he said and Heath just walked backwards. "What?"

They were just a two feet beneath him. Conan gulped, his mind racing and thinking of what he could do. 

"N-nothing," Heath said, still walking away. Hector and Rob emerged from behind their leader, they flanked him from left and right, leaving no opening but towards the behind where the lake was. Heath had no where to run. 

"I heard his little friend died," Hector said in his annoying high pitched voice. Conan remembered that voice. It was the taunting tone he used before slamming someone against their locker. Back then, Heath would ease him and prevent him from getting violent but now he was stuck the same position. 

"Isn't that sad?" Samuel said though he didn't sound sad at all. He was grinning widely like a wolf and Heath was backing away like a sheep, a feet away from the edge of the lake. "That's so sad, isn't it Heath? Who will fuck you now?"

Conan saw the fear pooling in Heath's eyes whereas he was himself trembling, thinking of something to say or do. What could he do? Fight them? Not certainly. 

"Oh!" Samuel exclaimed like a small child, "How about I do that? Because...well," he smiled wider, mocking him, "You have always been a little whore when it comes to boys."

"You are one who is acting like a whore," Heath said, knowing he was cornered. "Y-you're engaged and talking all this shit."

Samuel's face twisted in agony. He had clearly not thought Heath would say anything. Much less call him out with his friends around. Even Hector and Robert looked at him in disbelief. They had heard Heath make a valid point but wouldn't say anything against their ring leader.

"I have seen you hang around with Gray when it's been only a few months since your little friend died," Robert spat, punching his own fist. Conan had sworn if he saw someone do something as cliche, he would laugh. He wasn't laughing now.  "Hard to believe we were friends with such a whore like you."

Something inside him snapped. He couldn't just sit and watch them throw insults at him. Insults he didn't deserve. He couldn't just watch him as they continued to scare him and humiliate him. He had to do something. 

He stared at the phone in his hands. He could call the cops...He tried switching it on but it was dead.

Fuck, he thought. Out of all the times, it had to be now.

They wouldn't arrive so quickly, anyways. He needed something that would work fast. Something that would scare Samuel and his sidekicks for a long time. Besides, as far as he remembered, Hector's mom was a cop and he didn't want to leave it to her morals. 

He emerged from the tree, holding out his phone. "Hey, Samuel!"

Fours pairs of eyes from beneath turned to him. All of them surprised but one more so, filled with relief. 

"I have a video of you saying you want to fuck him!" he shouted, crossing the fence and running down the slant hill like structure. He was now only a feet away from Robert. "I can send it to Alina."

"You wouldn't fucking try that, Gray!" he barked, turning around. Heath seemed to leave their mind altogether because they didn't notice as he slyly slid away. 

"I fucking will!" he shouted, pretending  to unlock his phone and to send it to Alina. "If you don't leave him alone, I won't be scared to send to your pretty little fiance."

Fear crossed his face for the first time in a while. His cruel expression withered to something else, something that suggested he felt it was unfair. 

"He bluffing it!" Hector announced bitterly. "Show it to us!"

"I won't let you come near my fucking phone," Conan said with force. "I know what you are trying to do, bitch."

"You won't be able to do anything if we break your fucking arms," Hector snapped moving forward. Conan backed away, a little scared. He couldn't afford injuries right now. 

"I fucking sent it," he said, jabbing a finger at Samuel who had turned purple at the thought of it. "If you try to force me or act smart, I will throw it in the lake. If you let us go, I will delete my message."

Samuel seemed to be calculating his choices. His seemed scared and dazed that he had found courage to threaten him. Well, Conan would do it all over again if he had to. He would have been ready to punch him too if it meant so. He was really mad at the moment. At himself and Samuel. He should have been quicker and faster to save him.  He shouldn't have let him hear those things at all.

"Let him go," Samuel whispered, ushering Robert to move. 

"But-" Hector protested. His voice was cut off by Samuel's. 

"I SAID let him fucking GO!" he shouted, almost lunging at his friend's throat. 

Conan looked at Heath who was looking at him with a very grateful and relived expression, like he had been shut in a box without air and he had set him free and all he could do was breathe. He smiled sadly as he walked towards him holding out his hand. Heath looked at Samuel, Hector and Robert who were staring at him in disbelief. He looked a little hesitant but when Conan was about to pull it back he put his hand in his. 

"You will pay for what you did, Gray!" Samuel shouted, holding up a middle finger. Conan smiled at him mockingly.