XL. Your Arrangements

Author's Note: Boring chapter. I am sorry. Things will get heated in the next one. I promise.

It was going to be Heath's last week back in town, second last day to be more specific

It was going to be Heath's last week back in town, second last day to be more specific. Two more days till he would escape the shit hole and be back where he actually belonged.  He was looking forward to it, if he were being honest. He could go back, meet Jules' sister, focus on his exams, be back with Lim and take a break from Conan. He didn't know why he wanted to be away from him. He wasn't clingy or annoying but in fact good company. The way he talked and distracted him slyly, his laugh that felt like a shower of fresh flowers and the way he...

God, he thought, colour rising to his cheeks. I really do need a break. 

The more he had the urge to push him away the deeper he would pull him in. He knew it was stupid to think he could like him back. He wasn't even entirely certain that he liked Conan, even. It was just stupid and delusional. 

Heath's phone vibrated in his pocket and he drew it out. His screen flashed with a name, Kim. It was Diane Kim, the director of Conan's creative team and head of all those who worked behind the screen. Even Karla wouldn't jab at her. 

Why is she calling me?

Brows furrowed, Heath picked up the call. 

"Hello," Diane spoke softly yet firmly, sounding official. "Am I speaking to Heathcliff Charles?"

He cringed at the sound of his long name. It sounded so grand and overdone. Nothing like him, a plain Texan boy. 

"Yes," he said. 

"Very well. Mister Charles we will need you in Austin for three more days. You are free to leave on Thursday if you want to."

It didn't sound like a request to him but more like a declaration. If it were coming from someone else, he might have told them no but it was the director of the creative team. 

"But I already have a flight book-"

She cut him off without hesitation, speaking again in her soft yet affirming voice. "Those arrangements can be undone, Mister Charles. You will also be paid extra."

Payment wasn't the problem, this suffocating town was. He didn't think he had a choice until now, when she made it clear. 

"I don't have a problem with the payment," he said, trying to sound equally determined. "I have exams coming up in two weeks and-"

"You have your textbooks?" she asked, a soft audible on her side. 

"Yeah, I mean-"

"Perfect, you can study at your hotel or wherever you are living," she said, "Since we have an extra seen added in the music video, we will need more time to design clothes for Mister Gray."

"Okay but-"

"Mister Charles," she said, inhaling. "If you want the job, you have to excel here too, not just pass the exams. I can easily cancel your arrangements at Republic if you prove to be inflexible."