6. Unwelcome guest or a family member?

"Why are you getting my sherwani dry cleaned? The nearest festival of Rakhi is still a month away" Arnav asked Khushi that evening.

"You don't remember what's next week?" she tuned to look at him and asked with narrowing her eyes to emphasize she was not happy with his question

He tried remembering, no festival for sure, their anniversary still 3 months away, they just celebrated Kavish's 5th birthday and twins' birthday is in January, 6 months away. Neither was it her or his birthday. So what was the other occasion?

He opened his mobile to quickly confirm calendar entries and there he saw it "Nani's birthday!" he exclaimed loudly

"Yes, exactly. And it is her 75th birthday so we will be having a grand celebration" Khushi said, all the while a wide smile adorning her face.

--*--

The drawing room of Raizadas was decorated for the occasion. Only close friends and relatives were invited; however the party hall was buzzing with all hustle and bustle. Aroma of delicious Awadhi food, made by most capable chefs from Lucknow and some from Gupta foods were highlights of the party. All Raizada ladies were busy greeting guests and relatives who had specially traveled from their hometown and some from Delhi's elite circle. Garima and Shashi too had come along with madhumati bua.

Arnav and Khushi looked around, satisfied with the way the evening was turning out to be. Kavish and Piya were playing with some other kids from the guests' side while Khushi was carrying a sleepy Pari in her arms. Arohi, as usual was busy running around, with that pure-shaitan look on her face, as if contemplating, what next prank she could pull.

Just then, they heard a voice, a voice which was very deeply related to some of the most haunting memories from their past, a voice that belonged to someone whose guest appearances over the years, still made them uncomfortable. Yes, it was Subhadra Mallik, Arnav's paternal grandmother! Over last 9-10 years, her visits were limited to special occasions like these, the first one was after she came to know about Khushi's first pregnancy. She had by then repeatedly apologized to Khushi as well as Arnav, deeply regretting not trusting her grandson and his wife over that so called son-in-law. She knew it was not easy to earn an apology from Arnav and Khushi but she still did and also to the family. 2-3 years later when she came to know that Arnav Khushi were expecting their first child, a prospect of being a great-grandmother thrilled her. And she begged them to let her visit. Arnav had refused point blank, because to him, she was the lady responsible for almost snatching his Khushi from him. But Khushi convinced him to give his dadi a chance. For her, dadi's blessings to their baby meant a lot and just for that she was ready to forgive her.

Arnav eventually gave in but only for occasional visits, which were not to exceed a few hours or maximum couple of days. Subhadra malik gladly accepted it. So, her first visit was during Khushi's god-bharai rasam. She was visibly ecstatic for the upcoming baby and gave countless blessings to the mother-child duo. She also realized what a wonderful woman Khushi was and felt extremely proud of Arnav's choice. Now she understood why her grandson was ready to fight the world to keep this woman by his side.

Her next visit was after Kavish was born. She was already praying constantly since Khushi's due date was approaching and when Devyani called her sharing the news, she rushed to visit them. Everyone expected that now she will stay with them. But she kept her word to Arnav and Arnav did not stop her return to ashram either. She kept visiting in between on festivals and birthdays but when Aru-Pari were born, her tears of joy knew no bounds. They were god's miracles according to her, as they were born on some auspicious day, and she felt a strong pull to both the girls. When Pari was kept in NICU for 2 days as she was very weak at birth, Subhadra Mallik didn't eat a single morsel of food until Pari was discharged. Again, everyone expected now Arnav will accept his Dadi now but that didn't happen either. She was still the person who abandoned him literally on road when he needed her! She was still the lady who blamed his mother for his father's philandering ways!

And now, here she was! To wish her best friend Devyani Raizada, who was also a family to her, who always stood by her even when she wronged her daughter, even when she abandoned their grandchildren, who forgave her when she played with her grandson's life. She felt immense love and gratefulness to Devyani and had requested Khushi to let her come to wish her. Khushi obviously gladly agreed.

"Badi dadiiii" they heard aru's voice as she ran to her great-grandma's arms.

"Are mera bacha, badi dadi missed you bacha" She picked up Arohi in her old, weak arms and started showering her love. The kids were obviously unaware of difficult relationship dynamics between their grandmother and their parents. And then again, their badi Dadi only showered them with love.

Arnav and Khushi bent to take her blessings.

"Khush raho, jug jug jiyo dono (be happy and long live, you both)" she blessed them whole heartedly. Over the years, she had become very fond of Khushi too.

"Excuse me, Khushi, main Mehra ji mil ka rata hoon. You carry on, ok?" saying so Arnav excused himself. 'As expected' Khushi and Dadi thought at the same time and sighed.

--*--

Eventually party was over, and all guests returned to their homes, happily. Dadi also returned to ashram, of course Arnav asked their driver to drop her.

Khushi pulled a comforter over Kavish's seeping form, as Arnav carried an already sleeping Arohi in the kids' bedroom. Pari was fast asleep already. After tucking all 3 kids safely in their beds, they kissed their kids good night and retired to their own bedroom

"Party kafi acchi thi nai?" Arnav asked, removing his sherwani, while Khushi was removing her own jewelry, standing near the dresser.

"Ji. By Devi maiya's blessings, everything went well. Nani bohot khush thi, hume accha laga" she said, smiling.

"hmm"

"Arnav ji, can I ask you something?" she decided to start that difficult conversation.

"if it is about Dadi, then you know my answer Khushi" he sensed her thoughts, even before she put them in words

"But why? She is also Nani's age; she is getting old. Till when will we keep her away?" she said, turning around. He was already in his night clothes and sitting on the bed.

"She went there by her own will; we didn't abandon her. Don't make it sound like that" he was annoyed that Khushi still took dadi's side. How could Khushi be so forgiving?

"I am not Arnav ji. I know you are upset with her for abandoning you and di years ago when you needed her, and then she tried to break our marriage-"

"She jeopardized my happiness Khushi. I am not letting ever play with my life again" he said firmly, as he saw her taking her nightclothes and entering the bathroom to change. She returned a few minutes later. He had hoped they dropped the conversation at that. But she picked it right that point again.

"And she won't. Haven't we seen her change after that?" she tried to push her luck.

"People don't change that easily Khushi. Besides, I have made sure she doesn't miss anything in the ashram, she has all amenities and care takers there ok? Let's not talk about it now, hmm? I am very tired. Let's just sleep." He extended his hand to her.

She took his hand, as he pulled her in his embrace and turned off the bedside lamp. But Khushi kept thinking if whatever was happening, was it right?

--*--

A/N – was trying to write 'it meant nothing-2' but it is taking time. Probably after1-2 chapters, I will bring that one up. Till then, do let me know what you think about this one. Should Arnav bring dadi at home? Can she be trusted?

Thanks for your votes and reviews guys, mean a lot. Cheers!