64. Khushi's Scooter!

This is a tribute to the first promo of our show. Video credit to uploader 😇

I interchangeably use the words Scooty/scooter/moped/bike which refer to two-wheeler button-start bikes mostly used in India.

--*--

It was a beautiful pink Scooty Pep Plus standing in its glory and Khushi was looking at it enviously. It was no secret that Khushi loved travelling on her scooter more than the luxurious cars Raizadas (including herself) owned. She was transported back in time when she lived in Lucknow with her amma, babuji and jiji and had a similar two-wheeler. Oh, how she loved riding it! It would never get stuck in traffic, it would easily take her through narrow lanes of Lucknow and most importantly the feel of open air touching her face, playing with her hair had a different thrill in it!

"Maasi, it's such a lovely scooter na?" Piya who was standing next to Khushi asked her, as they were invited for HP's daughter's new bike's pooja ceremony.

Khushi smiled and nodded. Her mind already coming up with ideas to get to ride this scooter at least once. She could have of course bought her own but there were things coming in between her plans...

In the intervening years after her and Arnavji's marriage, she thought of getting one but every time something or the other stopped her from getting it. First two years were their honeymoon period which didn't let her think of pretty much anything else, then due to her miscarriage there was no question of riding a scooter, then Mr. Chiku ensured no such plans were made and by the time he turned 3 and she could think of buying a scooty, Chiku's sisters announced their presence and she again had to revert back to travelling in the fancy Mercedes and BMWs they owned! She wouldn't have risked her babies by riding on bumpy roads on a vehicle to fulfil her hobby anyway...

.

.

Next few days, Khushi kept visiting servant quarters where Prakash brothers and their families lived along with other staff of Raizada mansion. Khushi had volunteered in teaching two-wheeler riding to HP's daughter and Piya used to happily tag along with them! After every lesson, Khushi would give a ride to Piya who loved that time!

"Humein acche se pakad kar baitho, thik hai Piyu? (Hold me properly for support, ok Piyu?)" Khushi instructed Piya who was seating on the backseat, looping her small arms around her maasi, and holding Khushi by her midriff for supporting herself!

"Yes maasi, I am ready." Piya excitedly told, quickly checking her helmet was also in place!

Khushi pushed the start button and their joyful ride started. She was happy at least Piya enjoyed this as much as she did, otherwise Chiku had only been interested in cars (or helicopters!) and twins too didn't show much interest. Well, they were too small, too.

But Khushi really missed her own scooter. And now that, even twins were a little grown up, she could re-think of getting one!

--*--

Khushi broached the topic with Arnav later that night, as they were ready to sleep.

"What? But why? We have enough cars with full-time drivers." Arnav expressed his opinion when Khushi mentioned about getting a moped, "And you also drive a car thik-thak(Ok-ish)." he said with a smirk and his last comment earned him a slap on his arm.

Truth be told, he was actually afraid to let her drive the cars, as she didn't have enough practice, and Delhi's' traffic was crazy where the only rules they followed was 'no rule'! He couldn't, wouldn't take risks when it came to her!

"I drive fine, ok? Aap humein chalane hi nahi dete(you don't let me drive (the car))." she complained with a pout. To be honest, she also did not like driving cars with same zest as much as she liked her scooter rides.