11. Curious case of Pari Singh Raizada

A/N – Another one for Pari and this one's special.  Writing about her is most challenging for me. She's supposed to be a differently abled child, well Einstein syndrome to be specific. And while I did write something similar on this concept a few years ago in my Ross-Rachel story, I still find it difficult to write though I have tried to do basic research. Anyhow, here it goes. Do read and review.

--*--

"Arnav why doesn't Pari behave a little like Aru?" Khushi asked as she often used to wonder. She was sure even Arnav did. Arnav noticed how she called him Arnav, not Arnavji which used to happen only when Khushi was either very happy or when she was very stressed.

"You want two of 'that'?" Arnav pointed at Arohi who was now running behind Piya and Piya was trying to save herself, or rather her hair from Arohi. Well, it was difficult to believe Arohi and Pari were really twins, they were as different from each other as chalk and cheese! Arohi, who would bring the whole house down with her antics while Pari would not even let you realize there was a baby around.

"You know what I mean Arnav ji. Both are almost 2 years old, while Aru already speaks so much to tire herself out, Pari barely manages to say ma and pa. She doesn't want to play, forget about running and she is almost always silent. It worries me" Khushi was right. While Arohi's progress was very fast for her age, Pari was the opposite. Arohi started walking at 10 months, spoke her first word at 1 year but Pari did not utter a proper word until she was almost 16 months. And even now she barely spoke beyond a few words.

Doctors had assured them that there was nothing to worry, and some kids' progress is slow but Khushi being a mother could not help but stress

"Its ok sweetheart, I remember even Kavish stared speaking late" Arnav tried to console her.

"Not so late Arnav ji. He spoke his first word a week after his first birthday (trust a mother to remember the facts about her kids). By this time, he was already giving interviews!" And Khushi was not exaggerating. It did happen 2-3 years back when a local news channel had come to their home for Arnav's interview, Kavish barged into the makeshift studio in the garden and the interviewer immediately focused his attention to ASR's son, who was far more cute and more talkative! But that's another story for some other day

"hmm. So do you think we should speak to Dr. Sahni and start speech therapy for Pari?" Arnav asked in a low voice. Like any father, he did not want to acknowledge anything was wrong with any of his kids, but it was time he acknowledged Pari probably needed help. Dr. Sahni was a well-known pediatrist and specialized in treating children with speech disorders. And although his name was suggested by the twins' current pediatrist, Arnav was skeptical to approach the doctor because he simply didn't believe there was a need. Until now.

"Haan, I think its time to do that. We have waited for long Arnav ji. Everyone of us has tried everything, but kuch hua? I keep praying to devi maiyya to make Pari at least little more talkative, little more active but I am not succeeding" Khushi felt like she was failing as a mother.

It was not true though. Not just her but all of the Raizada and Gupta family members had been doing their best to bring more 'say' out of Pari but no one was succeeding. Khushi deliberately used to bring Pari in the hall where Aru was pulling out her pranks and Kavish and Piya used to be busy playing but nothing attracted Pari. She would just go back to her books and look at the pictures of animals and what not. The fear of something being seriously wrong with her was nagging Khushi day and night. But Arnav was still finding it difficult to acknowledge.

"Probably because her mother, sister and bhaiyya do all the talking, she has to resort to being quiet. Just like her poor papa" he tried to ease out the tension yet again

"Bass kijiye Arnav ji. I am serious. I am really worried for her. What if she doesn't speak at all? What if she grows up like that?"

"Come on Khushi, you know that is not the case. She will learn slowly" but truth be told even Arnav was getting more worried by now. No matter how much he tried to convince Khushi, it was as if he was trying to convince himself. In vain.

"How much more slowly Arnav ji? And before you say she is like you, not in this regard. I asked di, you were very active at 2, much like Kavish and Aru. And even now, maybe you speak less but not when you're with us and when you're addressing your employees or press. We need to accept Pari is different than both of us and from our other kids too" Khushi spoke her mind. It pained her to do so too but it was high time they did and helped their child.

And finally, Arnav too accepted what he didn't want to accept. He needed to face the truth and be there for his child and be there for Khushi. They needed him and together they will do it.

"Fine. You are right. I will speak to Dr. Sahni first thing tomorrow and we will take her to the clinic. Ok?" Arnav said and Khushi walked into his arms as he pulled her in a hug.

It was going to be a difficult journey, but they had each other and of course their family to support. Their love was their support, their strong suit!

Praying for strength for themselves as parents and blessings for their child, they retired to bed, the thoughts of Pari never leaving their mind.

--*--

A/N – its small update but that's all for now. We might have more on this later. I have seen some brave parents who handle their differently abled kids (varying from dyslexia to physical weakness) very well and have stood by them. While I can only admire their courage and pray for them, please forgive me if I unintentionally hurt anyone's feelings. 

originally posted: Sept 8, 2021

Keep letting me know your opinions and please do vote