93. Once upon a Father's day

The month of June had begun on a happy note for Arnav. Like it usually does every year. This month had given him a new role, a new responsibility some 7 years ago when Khushi gave birth to their son, and the little one gave him a new title, of a dad, a father! Cherry on the top was, the world celebrated Father's Day in this month, as if to emphasize how this happiness was meant to be his!

And then, the addition of two little princesses who were his lifelines and called him their dad, made his heart surge in fatherly pride!

However, this year proved to a be an unforeseen surprise -and not a pleasant one- when his son came to him and asked,

"Papa, tell me about your Papa. What was his name? How was he? We are asked to write about our dad and his dad for a project in the school. And I have already written everything about you. But aap ke papa ke baare mein to mujhe kuch bhi nahi pata (I don't know anything about your dad). Like we go to Dadi's (Arnav's mother's) rose garden, does my Dadaji also have a place he built?"

Arnav was stupefied. He had not seen this question coming from his kids. Not so soon at least. How to explain to his innocent 7-year-old that he detested his father? And for the reasons that were incomprehensible to his kids neither did he ever want them to know those reasons.

He looked around for any sign of Khushi, but she was busy with Pari and Pari's speech therapy teacher-Rashmi- for Arnav to bother her.

So, he did what he could best at this time, i.e., buy time, "Kavish, aap ko ye kab submit karna hai beta (when do you have to submit this, son)?"

"In 2 days." Chiku answered, looking at his dad with that same pleasant smile as Khushi's.

"Great. So, is it ok if we do this tomorrow? Papa has to prepare for an urgent meeting now." Arnav said, which wasn't totally fake. He surely had to prepare for that meeting with his son and he needed a day's time. He will ask Khushi to help during that period.

Kavish nodded in understanding and then went away from there.

.

.

Contrary to his expectations though, Khushi did not help him.

"What do you mean, no, Khushi?" he asked, in disbelief. He had told her in exact words what Kavish was asking about and requested khushi to explain to their son why Arnav couldn't share anything about his dad. But Khushi had said no, straight away.

"What I mean is, I am not going to be a mediator between you and your son nor your daughters, Arnavji. Aap ke bacchon ke saare sawalon ke jawab aap de sakte hain, aur aap hi ko dene chahiye (you are capable of answering all the questions that your kids have and in fact, you should answer them). They are growing up, they will have 100s of such questions that might not make you comfortable. But I cannot meddle every time." She said, while continuing her work of folding the clothes that had arrived from laundry.

"I don't know why you are doing this today. You always help me in these kind of situations." he said in irritation.

Khushi smiled. Stopping her work, she went near her husband and held his hand in her warm hold, "Trust me, Arnavji. I am doing this for you only. And for our son. He should have all these conversations with you, hear your story from you. Not from me."

"I can't talk the way you do to him, Khushi. Main tumhare jaisi baatein uss se nahi kar sakta." he shared the reason of his hesitation.

"And you don't have to. We both have different personalities! But just talk to him being his dad, let your love for him lead you. You won't ever need me to help you talk to him again." She said, pressing his hand and he just looked away, giving acquiescence neither denial.