28. Days of happiness(Happy b'day Khushi)!

The staff at AR was in a hurry to finish their day's work as next day was going to be a holiday. 'Day of happiness' as it was called within the A.R. group. Everyone working at A.R. knew what significance tomorrow's day held in their company's owner's life! For the past 9 years they had been enjoying a paid day off on this day. It was ASR's wife's birthday, and the day was to be celebrated with the person they loved the most. Every year their HR department would email them a day prior, reminding the intention behind this 'day of happiness'. They often wondered how lucky ASR's wife; Mrs. Khushi Singh Raizada must be! Of course, ASR would be missing in office during his marriage anniversary, his kids' birthdays and his own but this day, he gave them all an off, insisting they spent it with their special someone. 

--*--

For the past 9 years, Arnav had followed one ritual religiously, being the first one to say 'happy birthday' to her. No, not when she was asleep, not when the day was almost over, but on the midnight when her birthday started, and making sure she was awake to hear him wish her!

On her birthday after their remarriage (Sept 2013), he surprised her by wishing in shudh (fluent) Hindi right at midnight. 'Janam din Mubarak ho Khushi!' he had wished and watched a huge smile break out on her face. 

They both remembered the past year when he didn't know about her birthday and even after knowing, didnt wish her. Sure, he had later done many things make it up to her, everything, except wishing her! And then she had voiced her frustration saying 'ye sab sajavat, ye sari cheezein humein khushi nahi deti, (all this decoration and gifts don't make me happy) humare liye ek seedhi sadhi mubarakbaat, ek choti si wish hi kafi thi (I just need a simple wish, that is enough for me).' 

So her birthday after their remarriage, he ensured to finally say those 3 magical words, other than 'I love you' of course, ...'Happy birthday Khushi'! Eventually the night that started on this sweet note, of course proceeded to become sweeter and by the end of it, she couldn't wipe the smile off her lips, and he was proud he was the reason behind it.

The second year (Sept 2014), he had whisked her away to a Europe vacay and then on her birthday eve, they went to Eiffel tower in Paris. He had gotten a special permission to stay there till midnight, and just when her birthday started, he had wished, "When you are with me, I feel like I am on the top of the world Khushi, I hope you know that. Happy birthday sweetheart!" she had jumped in his arms that night! Like she had said, "bolna kya sikh gaye, humein hi chup kara dete hain (since he has learnt to speak more, he shuts me up with his remarks) ." Trust Arnav Singh Raizada to make everything in a special way and especially when it came to her.

Third year (Sept 2015), he felt like he was getting ready for a gift for himself, as they had recently started trying to get pregnant and that meant lot of romance and alone time with her! After the bitter memories of their first surprise pregnancy and subsequent miscarriage still fresh on their minds, he had also been very careful around her. In fact, he had ensured everyone else was just as watchful, even when she was yet be declared pregnant! He still had made arrangements at home, decorated the poolside with fairy lights, had asked Payal a favor and to make a rangoli of diyas there and a cake with jalebi on the top. Almost like "that" birthday a couple years ago. Only this time she did cut the cake, appreciated the decorations and later rewarded him in their own sweet way!

Fourth year (Sept 2016), she had just given birth to their son who was making sure to keep her awake till wee hours of night. Not to mention she couldn't have a lot of her favorite jalebis since she was lactating their son. So, he managed the only sweet thing that probably will never be restricted and will always be most perfect gift, his kiss! He remembered the exact words he had said to her, "You are the most precious person in my life Khushi and now you have given me another precious person to love. I love you, happy birthday jaan." he had kissed her and then their 3-months-old son who was sleeping soundly in her lap.