99. Lucknow Diaries - part 2

When Arnav opened his eyes the next morning-the first day of stay at his sasural (in law's house)-neither khushi nor their daughters were around. Although this bedroom wasn't entirely unfamiliar to him, having stayed here a few times in the past 10 years, he still felt a little uncomfortable. For starters, he hadn't been able to sleep properly, missing proper temperature control in the room and then Aru and Pari who were sleeping between him and khushi slept over him than the mattress! It wasn't that his kids didn't inherit this trait of somehow using him as pillow and mattress from Khushi, but as they were growing up, they had started practicing quite a few taekwondo poses in sleep and caught in a dilemma between being their protective dad vs his good sleep, he had chosen the former! And hence, he woke up with a slight backache and neck pain this morning.

On the contrary, Khushi had woken up with a big smile that morning. Waking up in her old bedroom, on her old bed and then hearing her amma's and babuji's hushed voices from the outside as they were most likely having their first cup of tea, being early risers, made her overjoyed and she couldn't wait to join them! She adjusted the rajai (quilt) over soundly seeping Aru-Pari who were snuggled closer to Arnav in their sleep-with Aru on his chest and Pari on his side- she controlled her giggle and pecking their cheeks, left to get freshened up and go outside.

When she came outside, her amma had already made chai (tea) for her and her jiji. Although they both often had Hari prakash or one of the other kitchen staff give them their morning tea in Delhi, there was nothing like enjoying her amma ke hath ki adrak wali chai (amma's ginger tea)!

They spent the next hour as a family of four, like they used to be before "VIP" additions in the form of Raizada brothers. Garima reminisced about Khushi and Payal's school days when Payal started fussing over Piya's exam times, then Shashi spoke about his plans for his proposed changes in the house and then they all just lazily sat there until Piya and chiku woke up and then the other 3 little ones-Palash, Aru and Pari- called out Payal and Khushi... It was already a huge relief to Khushi that she didn't have to think about what to make in breakfast or lunch today, as her amma and then buaji who would soon be reaching home, would take care of it for them!

.

.

Buaji's train had reached Lucknow early morning and a special car from Raizadas' fleet in Lucknow was sent to pick her up from there. Once she reached home, all the ladies in the neighborhood who were already eager to meet Khushi and Payal, gathered in Gomti Sadan to join over the second serving of an impromptu tea party!

And that is how Arnav was welcomed into the hall, when he appeared fresh after shower- hair messy and all- in short, in all his morning glory!

"Arre daamad ji! Uth gaye aap (You woke up)?" One lady greeted him in a way of 'good morning'!

 "Waise kafi der tak sote hai (You seem like a late riser)." One other lady commented while others giggled.

Arnav gave an awkward smile, suppressing his urge to boast about his morning workout routine from Delhi and tried to find khushi in this crowded hall of Gupta house. He was able to spot Kavish who was taking forever to finish his glass of milk and Aru who followed her bhaiyya in literally everything, was doing the same, making a cute pout as she took every small sip while Pari was comfortably sitting in Buaji's lap who was happily showing off her grandchildren to the neighbors. But Khushi wasn't around.

Frowning, he was about to turn around and go inside the bedroom again, when there was a tap on his shoulder from behind.

Thinking it was Khushi he turned around with a grin when he came face to face with Garima!