53. Cycling tales (aka broken bones)

"Pari, aapko pata hain kal kya hain? aapke bhaiyya ka janam din (do you know what is tomorrow? your bhaiyya's birthday)." Khushi told her darling daughter as she was getting the toddler ready for the day. Khushi often used to try to ask more questions to Pari in a hope to get more words from her...

"cheeku" Pari replied while looking at and holding on to Khushi's dupatta.

"Yes, baccha your chiku bhaiyya's birthday. Batao unhe kya tohfa de (tell me, what should we gift him)?" Khushi asked again, as she brushed Pari's silky soft hair, something Pari had inherited from her mamma. Pari, in reply, just made a happy sound making khushi smile too.

Although, Pari only squealed in response, Khushi already knew what they were going to gift him this birthday. In fact, their whole house knew, including the birthday boy himself, as Mr. Chiku had been demanding it for quite some time now...a cycle.

At first, they had been apprehensive of getting him a cycle as they thought he was still small for it, but Kavish successfully (and adamantly) convinced his parents that all his friends had it now and he too can ride it. Their argument that even his Piya didi did not have it yet was countered by Piya herself who came to her cousin's rescue, saying she was scared of riding, and she will try it with Chiku's cycle first...

Sighing, they gave in, albeit with many pre-conditions, like he will have it only for limited hours a day and he will ride it around their house with one of his parents being present. Chiku easily agreed, he was going to say yes to anything they were going to ask if he got a cycle...and so, it was fixed that Chiku will get a bicycle.

--*--

Cycle shopping:

The cycle shopping had been one heck of an experience. Since this birthday gift was not a surprise, Chiku had accompanied them. So, that evening Arnav, Khushi and their 3 kids along with Piya, made an entry in one of the high-end malls in the city and entered a cycle shop for kids.

"Woooow, this is sooo cool. Sooo many cycles." Chiku said dramatically and excitedly as he looked around the shop and many bicycles kept there in various colors and structures, some had small baskets in the front, some had side mirrors and what not!

The next child that was equally (or more) excited was currently struggling in the hold of her mamma's hand to let her go.

"Aru, no. Humne aapko pehle hi kaha tha, no running here and there in this shop." Khushi sternly warned Arohi as she continued to try to free her small hand from Khushi's hold.

"mammma, pleesh, let mee go." Aru said pouting

"Khushi let her be, I am here na, she will be fine." Arnav's interjection made Khushi's hold loosen and Aru to run near a smaller 3-wheeled bicycle made for toddlers and she promptly jumped in it too!

Khushi glared at Arnav in response while he smiled sheepishly, tightening his hold on Pari in his arms, thankfully this one was less of a trouble as she was calmly staying in his arms...

Khushi's other hand was holding Piya, who was also looking around curiously. She liked the colorful and vibrant atmosphere in this shop. In fact, colors made her happy, just like her Khushi maasi.

"Piyu, agar aapko koi cycle pasand aaye toh humein batana, thik hain (if you like a cycle, let me know ok)? I and your chachu have already talked with your mummy-papa that we will get it for you too if you want."