36. Feb 14th or Contract anniversary?

Q/n - writing this one was an emotional roller-coaster tbh. so pls do r&r.

--*--

This day holds great significance for many people around the world, especially people in love, who celebrate it as Valentine's day. But for Arnav and Khushi this day held an altogether different meaning; this day signified an important milestone of their turbulent journey back in the day.

"Hello Hi bye bye, ye Arnav bitua aur Khushi itne khoye hue kyun hai aajkal?" Mami asked mamaji that day on lunch, noticing Khushi's eyes had lost their twinkle since 2 days, while Arnav too had looked gloomy in the morning

"Mano, bhul gayi? 2 din baad kya hain?" Mamaji tried to remind her

"kya hain?" and then she remembered, feb 14th! Akash-Payal's wedding anniversary, and Arnav-khushi's too! Only the latter couple didn't celebrate it as such, in last 9 years!

Arnav-Khushi had gotten married this day. The first time. The contract marriage. The one where Arnav blackmailed her to marry him for six months. Because he believed she was involved with his sick brother-in-law! It was the day when they were united in holy matrimony (the first time) yet they weren't!

"Hamari samajh mein nahi aata ye dono ab bhi har saal iss waqt aise kyun ho jate hain?(I dont understand why these two have to be like this around this time every year, still)?" Payal too wondered, loud enough for Akash to hear.

It was true. Arnav and Khushi started behaving differently around this time of the year and the whole household knew the reason. They never celebrated this as their marriage anniversary, instead celebrating on their remarriage one, September 28th.

"we know the reason, Payal." Akash scoffed, the bitterness of why his bhai was behaving this way, never leaving him. 

*flashback from 9 years ago - 3 months after arshi's remarriage, Dec 2012*

One fine afternoon, when Guptas and Raizadas were assembled together, Arnav confessed about how he had manipulated khushi into marrying him on the day of payal-akash's marriage. Recounting that day's events wasn't an easy thing to do but he did. The reactions from whole family were mostly varied amounts of anger and disappointment. 

Madhumati bua openly berated him while constantly asking for forgiveness from khushi "I always insulted you for being an outsider, but Nand kishor, you are our closest! Apni iss buaji ko maaf kar dein Khushi(please forgive me khushi). tujh jaisi beti kismat se mliti hain, agle janam mere ghar paida hona titaliya (May God bless me with you as my daughter in next birth, dear)" buaji kissed Khushi's forehead, asking for forgiveness, something Khushi had long done.

Garima and Shashi Gupta refused to look at Arnav while Garima apologized to khushi again and again for slapping her that day. Anajli (who was unmarried that time when Arnav confessed this) reprimanded him, while probably for the first time mama and mami too, admonished him 'is this the upbringing we gave you?' they said with anguished voice and disappointed looks.

But most sharp reactions were from his nani and Akash-Payal and rightfully so. Nani almost slapped him, first time ever in his life! While Payal who had started crying asked him how could he do this to khushi? Khushi came to his rescue telling everyone that it didn't matter anymore and she had in fact opposed arnav to say anything now but he wanted to reveal that truth as it was weighing heavy on his heart. He had apologized to her privately, thus far, and today again in front of all, in fact he asked for forgiveness from everyone but that did little to help.

And finally, Akash! His brother who's life he used as a game plan. Akash didn't say a word.  He stopped talking to arnav altogether! Not even in office! It was as if Akash had removed Arnav from his life. And that hurt! Of course the rest of the family too weren't very happy with him but they were cordial, thanks to Khushi. It took khushi all her efforts to convince everyone that it was indeed wise to let the bygones be and after almost a month they agreed to forgive him. Arnav had fell more in love with khushi after this, gratefulness and guilt aside!