38. A wall's memoir(ek deewar ki aatmakatha)

You ask me who I am? That's a good question. I have been never given a spotlight even though I am such an important part of this story!

Well, better late than never. Let me introduce myself, *clears throat...erm..paint* I am a cool and beautiful, Deewar (Wall). Na, na, not the one that separates people, but the one that built love! Don't go by my current looks, and the things currently adorning me, but mind you, I am a historic part of this huge mansion, Shaantivan and my place is most coveted in this house, after all I live in Arnav-Khushi's bedroom!

Let's begin from the beginning.

I was born...erm, built 40 years ago on command of a kindhearted gentleman called Subhash Singh Raizada, I was as a part of his beautiful house that he built for his wife and kids! His two young adult kids, their partners and his grandkids made this house a lively place back in those days *sigh*. And then came along his daughter's, Ratna's younger son, my current master, Arnav! Ratna often visited us during kids' summer holidays and Anjali, and Arnav would always be given this room. Arnav was a very naughty kid, he would always scrabble things on me, kick me with his tiny hands as he practiced some karate moves and sometimes, he would sleep resting his tiny frame against me! I would always take care to not hurt his tiny back. I used to adore that guy! And I thought no other kid would be so close to me, or I would not like any other kid doing that to me.

How wrong I was!

Fast forward to some 30 years into future, his 3 kids have turned even more adorable, even more naughty and I rejoice when they play something that involves me! Chiku always scrabbled things on me, Aru toes the line while Pari looks at me like I am the most interesting thing in this world. Well, what can I say, I am the most interesting thing in this world and that kid is a genius, likh lo (take it from me)!

But let's rewind few years back. Especially the time when my master wasn't married. I have witnessed his loneliness, his yearning for love although he hid it well behind the mask of arrogance, but he could never do that in front of me. Perks of being a wall.

And then came my most favorite person in this world!!! Wife and life of my master, lifeline of this house and my caretaker cum best friend, Khushi! The moment that girl stepped in this room, and I saw her, I sent prayers in the skies to bring her here permanently. Oh, how I have conspired for her and Arnav to unite! You know how you humans say, deewaron ke bhi kaan hote hain (walls can listen)? you guys are right! We have ears and guess what, heart too.

What all I have not endured for them? Hot tea and coffee being thrown on me, cups and saucers hitting my surface, Arnav banging his fists on my delicate back! But I accepted everything, for I knew I had to do it, and stand strong for these two stubborn heads to unite!

Then finally he married her, and I was so happy. But it wasn't the happy marriage initially. They had miles between them even though they were surrounded by my solid protection!

So I had to conspire and pray again. Arnav saw those cameras and Shyam was thrown out. And finally, Arnav and Khushi united, for forever this time!

The next few months, I have been a witness of their young love, the playful banters during the days and passionate encounters during the nights! *sighs dreamily* Arnav could hardly stay away from my Madam! And one day, when he held her against me *covers eyes*, a dot of her kajal accidentally made a mark on my surface. I was so happy to see that kala tika (black dot) to ward off any evil from their lives this time!