Chapter 11

I am soooooooo sorry it's been so long since I last updated!!!!!!!
I'm still on my holiday, but I've managed to find internet long enough to  post this chappie for you!!
Thank you for everyones support and comments, I love them all so much & they truly make me feel
appreciated!!!
Enjoy!
x

“Do you reckon we’ll get to meet the Prime Minister?” Em asked, her eyes wide.

“Are you dumb? Of course not.” Jules scoffed. “She doesn’t associate herself with us peasants.”

I rolled my eyes at my best friends’ bickering. “Shut up, the both of you.”

We were five minutes away from the Royale Hall in Canberra for our rehearsal and I was freaking out.

A headache pulsed behind my temples and I sighed heavily.

“Nervous?” Jules asked, sympathetically.

Em patted my knee. “You’ll be brilliant, Del. Promise.”

“Thanks, guys.” I said, softly, staring at my lap.

I didn’t fully believe them. Best friends were supposed to say such things.

“We’re here!” Jo announced, as the bus jerked to a stop. “Everyone out!”

I waited for everyone else to walk out before I followed, taking deep breaths as I did so.

Nausea rolled in my stomach as I jumped the last few steps and stared impassively at the large building.

For a huge hunk of concrete, it had a lot of grandeur. The colour scheme of the lobby was pastels and the air conditioner raised goosebumps on my arms. I felt grubby inside the posh interior.

We’d left Sydney at six am this morning in the tour bus, all dead on our feet after the hectic New Years Eve. I was dressed in comfortable clothes: grey cotton shorts, a thin white V-neck and blue thongs.

I was afraid to touch anything as the manager, Jill, led us through to the stage. I gazed in awe and horror at the polished floor of the mosh pit and the navy chairs ringing the stage.

“Oh crap.” I whispered.

Jules and Em were at my sides in seconds.

“Don’t worry.” Jules soothed. “You get to rehearse first, test out the stage.”

“Ok.” I squeaked.

“Just calm down, Del, you’ll give yourself a headache.” Em said, gently.

“Alright.” I took a few deep breaths. “I’m calm.”

“Alright, everyone.” Jo said, loudly. She consulted her clipboard and took a mouthful of her coffee. “Alright. This is Eddie and Fry, our personal techie guys for the tour. This is Cole, Macon and Denny, Coco’s band. And this is Ollie and Laurie, Delilah. Ollie’s your guitarist and Laurie’s your pianist. They’ll all be here for the whole tour.”

I studied Ollie and Laurie carefully. Ollie could only be a few years older than me, with messy black hair and pale skin. Laurie would be in her early twenties, maybe. She was petite and slender, with ivory skin, wide hazel eyes and a bun of springy auburn curls coiled on top of her head.

“Got it? Great. So, Coco, you’re rehearsing first. Get your mic with Eddie and Fry and then perform your six songs with your band. Delilah and 5SOS, follow Jill backstage. She’ll show you to your rooms. Delilah, I want you on this stage at twelve o’clock exactly. Boys, at two o’clock exactly, ok? We all clear?”

We all nodded and Jo clapped her hands. “Off you go!”

Trailing the others, I followed Jill through the wings to stage left, down some steps and into a hallway.

“First door to the right is yours, Miss Cook.” Jill said. “And second to the left is yours, boys. Miss Stewart has the first to the left. Your assistants will share the rooms with you. Is this all ok?”

“Perfect. Thank you!” We chorused, and then vanished into our respective rooms.

I immediately plopped down on the couch and rubbed my eyes. “I feel sick. I can’t perform tonight!”

“Suck it up, Del.” Jules said, strongly, her eyes determined. “You’ve worked too hard for this to chicken out now. You’re gonna go out there, remember your lyrics, hit all your notes, smile and have the best night of your life. Now stop moping, you’re living your dream.”

I glanced up at my best friend and set my jaw. “You’re right. I’m sorry about that.”

“Don’t be.” Em sent Jules an annoyed look. “It’s normal to freak out. But Jules is right. Don’t do it anymore.”

I laughed. “Got it.”

Em handed me a cloth bag. “You’ll want to change, right?”

“Oh yes, thank goodness!” I gasped. “I felt like such a hobo.”

“And here.” Jules rummaged in her shoulder bag and pulled out a chocolate bar. “Not very healthy, but you need a sugar hit.”

“You’re the best assistants ever!” I grinned. “Now turn around.”

I changed into thin black leggings cut off at the ankle, a flowy pale blue singlet and cream flats. Then I ate my chocolate bar.

The hour and a half flew by, and suddenly, I was wearing a microphone and was up on stage, shading my eyes from the blinding stage lights.

“Delilah?” Jo’s voice came from somewhere in the eternal darkness in front of me. “You ok?”

I started to feel dizzy, the lights sparking around my eyes. “Yeah.”

“Alright. Start with any song you want.”

Shakily, I turned to Ollie and Laurie who were watching me with smiles.

“Let’s start with…” My mind blanked. I couldn’t even remember my own songs! “Uh…Teardrops on My Guitar.”

They nodded, Laurie putting her hands in her lap and Ollie reaching for his guitar.

As soon as I heard the opening chords, I swung towards the empty audience and let the words flow from my lips.

Jo made me sing five of my songs and a cover, watching me walk and dance around the stage and occasionally take my own guitar and play a song seated on a high stool.

“Great work, Del.” She said, finally. “This will be fantastic. Hair, makeup and dress starts at 5, make sure you’re not late, don’t strain your voice, practice, do warm ups and don’t go wandering.”

“Ok, thanks, Jo.” I almost sprinted off the stage, running headlong into Luke.

The lights still burned into my eyes, making my head rush.

“Woah.” Luke steadied me, watching me carefully. “You ok?”

“Yeah.” I said, shaking off the dizziness. “I’m fine.”

And then I walked carefully back to my dressing room to mentally prepare myself for the night’s performance.