Chapter 51

Hey guys! Sorry it's been such a long time since I last updated!!! I just started school again and it's been CRAZY busy!!!

This is dedicated to carlyp5431 because she is a spectacular human being and I arrived on Wattpad today to see 61 notifications all from her and her beautiful comments and likes - THANK YOU lovely, it was awesome to see that!!

Hope this lives up to expectations!

“She has a mild concussion and severe bruising on her torso and limbs.”

“Then why isn’t she awake yet?”

“Most likely shock, or perhaps the pain. She’ll wake soon.”

“Thank you, Doc.”

A door slammed.

“She must be in so much pain.” Someone else choked out.

Another voice hushed them.

I was floating in velvet blackness, my limbs light, but my head anchored by the hand that was gently stroking my hair.

I could hear soft crying and hushed voices.

They rippled closer and then away again, but the soothing hand stayed constant.

I wanted to open my eyes, but my head ached and there was a buzzing noise reverberating through my skull.

I don’t know how long I lay like that, hovering somewhere on the brink between consciousness and unconsciousness, but gradually I began to get my bearings somewhat.

I was lying down, flat on my back. My head was resting on something relatively comfortable and soft. There was a hand locked tightly onto mine. There was a steady, rhythmic beep that coincided with my deep breaths.

The buzzing died down, and I realised that I was waking up, gaining my consciousness back bit by bit.

I heard muted voices and a door slam and then silence.

Silence.

I could’ve been alone except for the hand locked onto mine.

Who’s hand could it be?

My dad’s? No, it wasn’t big enough.

Jules’? Emilia’s? No, not dainty enough.

My brain moved slowly, sluggishly until it all began to click into place.

Long slender fingers topped with rough callouses from playing the guitar.

Warm hands, familiar hands.

Luke’s hands.

The previous events came rushing back to me with such terrifying clarity that I almost gasped out loud.

I must have made some sort of sound, because the pressure increased on my fingers.

“Delilah? Del? Can you hear me?” Luke’s voice was infused with hope.

I didn’t want to open my eyes. I was too scared.

There was a heavy sigh and my hand was released.

I breathed for a few moments, hating the heavy silence until I could bear it no longer.

My eyes fluttered open, revealing a white roof, four white walls, a window and a white door.