Chapter 32

Short & Sweet: Emilia & Calum's date ;)

Song belongs to One Direction, I own NOTHING (sadly)

Emilia James had had a fair few boyfriends.

Not dozens, but enough to get a few snide looks and “slut” name-calling from the hallways at school.

Em didn’t do anything to warrant the name slut. All she had done was date a few guys, and then be dumped by them when she didn’t want to go all the way.

But Calum was different.

Calum had never once pushed her to do anything she didn’t want to do, had never gone further than cuddling or a chaste kiss on the cheek, except for their new years kiss.

And Emilia was worried. Worried that he’d turn out the same as every other guy.

What could she say? She was good at picking the douchebags.

Em fidgeted as she waited by the stage for Calum. The curtains were drawn, but the lights were on.

She checked her outfit at least seventeen times and almost chewed the lipstick off her lips.

Looks like even though it was Calum, she couldn’t get over the first-date nerves.

“Hey.”

Em whipped around at the sound of Cal’s voice. She smoothed down her dress. “Hi.”

Calum’s lips spread into a smile. “You look beautiful.”

Em blushed, the way she always did when Cal complimented her. “Thank you. You look nice too.”

Cal had obviously just gotten out of the shower, water droplets trickling from his beanie. He was dressed in what Em termed ‘smart casual’, in dark-wash jeans, Nikes and a V-neck t-shirt.

 Cal grinned. “Thanks. Feel like some dinner?”

“Sounds wonderful.” Em said, suddenly feeling the hunger pangs from before, when she was too nervous to eat.

Calum jumped up onto the stage and held out a hand.

Em giggled. “I’m in wedges and a dress, I think I’ll take the stairs.”

Cal laughed but followed her to the stairs and helped her up.

Then, with a flourish, he pulled back the curtain and Em gasped in amazement, putting a hand over her mouth.

The scene revealed behind the curtain was like from a real romance movie.

The stage was bare of instruments except for the guitar leaning against the wing, and the spotlights lent their soft yellow light onto the centre of the stage. There was a round table with two chairs opposite each other, a vase of red roses in the middle and two plates of food.

“Calum! This is…its…wow.” Em gasped.

“You like it?” Cal rubbed the back of his neck. “I wasn’t sure if it was too cheesy or anything…”

“No. It’s perfect.” Em giggled as she realised that that was probably a very cheesy line. “I like cheese.”

Cal relaxed. “Wonderful.”

He held out her chair for her as she sat down.

The chatter never ceased as the pair enjoyed their chicken ptarmigan (Em’s favourite meal). It was light and sweet, punctuated every now and then with Em’s tinkling giggles or Cal’s hearty laugh.