Chapter 59

Filler filler filler filler I'M VERY SORRY

But at least it's a quick update, yeah? Let's just keep that one in mind ;)

The after party was going off, but I felt out of it.

Everyone else was partying away inside, drinking champagne and soft drink, eating pizza and dancing to loud techno music.

I held a champagne glass full of lemonade in my hand as I sat on the plastic chair on the balcony, staring out over the brightly lit Sydney skyline, the Harbour Bridge awash with golden, twinkling lights.

I ached for home, here in Sydney.

I wished desperately for the time that had passed me by without my knowledge.

“Delilah?”

The voice was familiar, but totally unexpected.

I put down the glass, stood up and folded my arms, backing away from the black-haired guitar player.

“What do you want?” I asked, tightly. “Want to ruin my life some more? Sure, go on ahead. And then you can even blame me for it.”

I knew my words were unfair, and that I was as much to blame as he was.

But bitterness made my words sharp.

Ollie held up his hands in surrender. “I wanted to apologise.”

I scoffed. “But this is all my fault, remember?”

“I know you’re angry…”

“Angry?” I gave a shocked laugh. “Ollie, my friends all hate me. They refuse to speak to me. The boy I’m in love with, and was going to tell tonight, refuses even to acknowledge my existence, and the hurt in his eyes is unbearable. I’m leaving tomorrow with no more contact with these people, and to have ended on such a terrible note after all our promises, to be perfectly honest, makes me feel like crap. So, if you don’t mind, I’d just like a minute to myself, please.”

Ollie wrinkled his forehead in a frown. “I’m so sorry, Delilah.”

And then I deflated, too drained to even hold up the anger.

“I know. I’m sorry too.” I pressed my hands to my face. “I honestly didn’t know I was leading you on. I thought…I thought I was just being a friend. I thought you were a friend. I…I…”

A lone tear tumbled over my mascara-coated lashes and down my cheek.

“I’m so sorry.” Ollie looked upset, but kept his distance. “I’m not a bad guy, I swear, Del. I never meant to ruin anything. I just…I don’t know.”

I opened my mouth to interrupt, but he held up a hand.

“No, I have to say this. I guess I really liked you, and you and Luke were having problems, and I deluded myself into thinking you felt the same way. It was my fault and I really had no right to be so angry with you. I didn’t mean anything I said, either. I’m so sorry, Delilah.”

Genuine remorse darkened his pale features.

I forced a small smile onto my face. “I forgive you, Ol.”

“Thank you.” Ollie sighed in relief and offered me a hand to shake.

I took it and shook it, shaking my head at his antics.