Chapter 26

Very short; I'm sorry! xx

The pills were in my hand before I realised.

I didn’t know anything except that I had to be asleep before Luke came back, and these were the only way I’d get my mind to shut the hell up.

I swallowed two sleeping pills quickly, knocking them back with gulps of water. I took a third just to be certain I would be completely knocked out.

Then I hid the sleeping pills, certain that if anyone found out, I’d be in for it.

Then I changed into my leggings and searched for my baggy pajama top.

My eyes were beginning to droop already. I pulled on the first shirt I saw. I washed my face free of makeup and then landed on my bed just in time.

I closed my eyes and the world went dark.

*

Luke was the only one in the bus when I finally got up.

His mesmerising blue eyes bored into mine as I took in his appearance. Normally, I would’ve reacted quicker. Would’ve blurted out something stupid or hurried back into the bathroom. But the sleepiness from the pills I’d taken last night clung to me, making my reflexes slower and my mind groggy.

“Morning.” I said, leaning against the counter and blinking quickly to get rid of the tiredness.

“Afternoon.” Luke corrects, getting stiffly to his feet.

“Really?” I glance at the clock. It was 12.34. “Crap.”

Luke didn’t laugh. He had paused and was looking at me oddly.

“What?” I stifled a yawn.

“You’re wearing my shirt.” He mumbled.

I glanced down at the white t-shirt with black print across the front. And gasped. “I’m sorry.”

“Don’t…be.” He shook his head. “Don’t be sorry. It’s fine. I just…”

He trailed off. I let the silence hang, unsure of what to say.

Oh joy, awkward Delilah is back.

“Are you ok?” Luke asked, suddenly. “You were asleep when we all got back last night. And we couldn’t wake you.”

“Yeah. Just tired, I guess.” I shrugged, folding my arms defensively over Luke’s t-shirt.

He narrowed his eyes. “You’re the lightest sleeper ever.”

I shrugged. “Haven’t been sleeping these past few days. Guess it all caught up with me.”

“You didn’t…take anything…did you?”

I was on the defensive immediately. “No! Why don’t you trust me? Why can’t you accept that I was just tired?”

Luke put his hands up in surrender. “Ok, ok. I’m sorry.”

I felt myself shrink back into normal size. “Thank you.”

“Now can we talk?” Luke asked.