Chapter 17

Hey guys!!!!! OMG it's been SO LONG & I can't explain how sorry I am or how thankful I am that you all stuck with me this far!!!! I know it's been forever & I know personally that I'm super impatient when it comes to waiting for a new chapter....and I'm REALLY sorry I did it to you!!!! I really have no exclusive excuse except for LIFE. Life just gets in the way sometimes, and it's been so so so so busy recently, theres barely been enough time for sleep let alone writing!!!!

Now; this chapter isn't my best (my personal favourite is 16...I do love that song) but I wanted to put something out there....and I still quite like it (otherwise it wouldn't be up-haha) SO I hope you enjoy it and THANK YOU SO SO SO MUCH for sticking with it <3 xxx

“Happy Birthday, darling Delilah.” Mum smiled at me but it didn’t create the usual, sparkling effect.

It never did anymore.

She was so tired and I could see that. But every bone and muscle and fibre in my body so fiercely rejected the idea of my mum being so deeply tired, that it physically hurt me to think about it.

“Thanks, Mum.” I hugged her gently, afraid of breaking her frail body and brittle bones.

“This is for you.” Mum handed me a tiny, gold-banded ring with miniscule diamonds studded around the middle. “From me.”

My mouth fell open. “Mum!”

“Put it on your pinky.”

I slipped it on, admiring the burst of colours in the soft lamplight.

Suddenly Mum started coughing. She coughed and choked and coughed some more, blood spraying through her fingers.

“Mum!” I screamed, looking around for anything that could help her.

But there was nothing. It was too late.

Suddenly, too suddenly, Mum was still and her head tilted back. Her eyes, beautiful green eyes, were glazed.

She was dead.

*

I gave a strangled scream, shooting up into a sitting position and banging my forehead on the wooden beams above me.

I sank back into my original position, holding a hand to my throbbing forehead and staring blankly at the bunk above.

Tears of physical pain mixed with tears of emotional pain and I bit my knuckle fiercely to keep from making a sound.

I curled into a ball and closed my eyes tightly.

Tears leaked through anyway, but this way I could pretend they weren’t.

I scrunched my hands into a fist, feeling the familiar bite of the little gold ring on my pinky finger.

“I miss you, Mum.” I whispered.

“Happy Birthday, darling Delilah…”

*

“HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU! HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR DELILAH! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!”

I shot up so fast that I whacked my head against the wooden beams of the bunk above me. Again.

“Ow.” I sank back down with a groan, rubbing my suddenly sore head.