Chapter 1

I like to compare life to a game of softball. I don’t know why, because I hate softball. But that’s beside the point.

Sometimes, Life throws you curveballs, and you’re trying to hit them, and failing completely. Sometimes, you’ll be stuck waiting for something to move before you can make your move. Sometimes, you’ll throw someone a ball, and it’ll wind up ending badly for you. Sometimes, you’ll hit a perfectly clean shot, only to have it caught by someone and sending you out. But sometimes, you’ll hit a ball far beyond anyone’s expectations and make a home run.

Yeah, I’ve definitely been thinking too much about this.

The loss of my ex-best friend, the death of my mum and the move to Melbourne were all some particularly hard curveballs thrown my way. Sometimes, I think it isn’t fair. But throwing them back doesn’t help.

In fact, sometimes attempting to throw something back in Life’s face lands you at the hospital with people saying things like ‘depression’ and ‘attempted suicide’ and ‘self-harm and ‘pity’.

But now I’m through it all, and I’m strong. I’ve been practicing, and I’ve decided that the only way to prove to Life that I’m strong is by pursuing what I love most: singing.

Which is why I’m here right now, back in Sydney, in the waiting room of an agent’s office and sitting on a hard plastic chair, rubbing my clammy palms anxiously on my thighs.

I’m dressed much…girlier than usual. Normally I just chuck on shorts and a t-shirt, but Dad insisted that I “dress to impress”.

So now I’m wearing a sleeveless mint blouse tucked into a pink floral skirt with white socks scrunched down over mint high-tops. I’ve pulled my hair into a high ponytail, tied with a white lace ribbon.

And that’s as girly as I was willing to get.

“Deep breaths, Delilah.” Dad advised me. “She’s going to love you.”

I smiled at him gratefully, but before I could find the words to thank him, an unfamiliar voice called my name.

“Delilah Cook?”

“That’s me!” I called to the receptionist, and got to my feet.

The pretty young receptionist led Dad and I to a door with Johanna Smith engraved in the wood.

Tentatively, I knocked. “Come in!” I entered.

Johanna Smith, Agent, turned out to be a pretty woman in her early thirties, dressed in a black pencil skirt and white collared blouse and with a sleek brown bob framing her face. Her fringe was chopped ruler-straight above her dark, thin eyebrows and emphasised her dark blue eyes, framed in jet-black mascara.

She smiled at me with impossibly straight and white teeth as I walked in.

“Hello, Delilah. I’m Johanna, but you can call me Jo.”

“I’m Peter Cook.” Dad interjected, before I could say anything. He shook Jo’s outstretched hand. “It’s nice to meet you.”

I copied his action. “Hi, Jo. It’s really great to be here.”

“Thank you for coming.” Jo said, sitting down again. “You have such incredible talent, and I can’t believe no one has grabbed you yet! I’m here to offer you your options.”

“Options?” Dad echoed. I poked him, giving him a look that told him to back off slightly.

Jo just smiled indulgently. “Yes. Options. It depends on which kind of path you want to follow, Delilah. Are you leaning towards a solo career, a band, or collaboration?”

I thought for a moment. I wasn’t really a ‘people person’. I mean, I used to be, but that was before my mum died and my best friend broke my heart.

“And this also depends on either singing your own songs, or covers.” Jo continued.

“I sang covers on YouTube.” I mused. “But I have written some of my own stuff. And I prefer to sing alone, but am open to a collaboration.”

“That’s a start.” Jo paused, shuffling her papers. “I have a proposition for you.”

“Really? Already?” I asked, startled.

She laughed slightly. “Yes. It’s not huge. In fact, it’s only a national tour, visiting the capital cities in each state. You’ll be opening for a band called ‘5 Seconds of Summer’. Have you heard of them?”

“No, sorry.” I said, feeling a little awkward that I hadn’t.

“Not to worry. They just got off a tour of Australia opening for Hot Chelle Rae and Cher Lloyd. They’ve been back at school, but they’ll be touring over the summer holidays, and we’ve yet to find an opening act. Are you interested?”

Am I interested? What a silly question. But Dad would be left alone, and he probably wouldn’t let me go off anyway, with a band I didn’t even know.

“She’ll do it.” Dad said, surprising me.

“What? Dad? Are you serious?” I rambled.

“This is your chance, Del. Take it.” Dad said, his grey eyes, identical to mine, misting over.

“Thanks, Dad.” I hugged him tightly, so thankful for his sacrifice.

“Wonderful.” Jo handed me a handful of papers, and I spent the next few minutes reading and signing.

“I’ll see you next week, Saturday at two pm, to meet 5SOS. Then, we’ll start up the tour on New Years Eve. Is that alright with you?”

“Sounds amazing. Thank you so much, Jo.” I said, smiling widely.

“I’ll be in touch. Take care of yourself, Delilah.” Jo said.

I waved to her as we left. The second her door shut behind us, I jumped for joy, grinning madly.

“Dad! Did you hear that? I’m signed! I’m going on a tour! I’m going to open for a band!”

“I’m so proud of you, Del.” Dad said, smiling. “And I know your mum would be too.”

I quieted. “You think so?”

“Darling, I know she would. She was always your biggest fan and supporter.”

“Thanks, Dad.” I smiled again, but it had dimmed with thoughts of my mother crowding my mind. I missed her so much.

We made our way down the hall, and back past the waiting room and receptionist’s desk.

I could see the backs of what appeared to be four teenage boys, slouching in the seats of the waiting room.

“5SOS?” The receptionist called.

My feet stilled as I reached the door that my dad had already walked out of, wanting to see whom I was opening for. The boys walked out into the corridor, laughing and joking loudly. Then I caught a glimpse of their faces and I froze.

One boy looked up, his brilliant blue eyes catching my own grey ones, and he stumbled to a stop.

“Delilah?” He asked, in disbelief. “Delilah Cook?”