Chapter 49

Hehehehe sorry I was a bit mean, leaving that last one on a cliffie ;)

Sorry that this chapter is a little short!

And thank y'all for all your wonderful, lovely comments!!!! You're all awesome people!!!

Hope you enjoyyyy mwahaha

I was used to fear.

When my mum was sick, the fear was constant.

It lurked in my chest, hanging like a dead weight in my heart.

I thought I’d mastered fear. I thought I’d mastered the straight face and the pretending that it didn’t happen.

But this fear was different.

This fear was tangible, making my hands shake and my breathing forced, gnawing on my stomach, making me jittery and anxious.

I paced up and down, unable to stop moving.

I couldn’t eat, couldn’t force the food into my system.

Luke basically had to get down onto his knees and beg to get me to eat the simplest of foods: an apple.

There was constantly a security guard hanging around, my dad was constantly texting me and Luke never let me leave his sight.

He was always touching me, resting his hand on my hip, his arm around my shoulders, his lips against my temple.

If I wasn’t so scared, I probably would have been irritated at the amount of protection forced upon me.

But I knew Kyle and I knew that everyone else didn’t know him like I did.

And that was terrifying.

My usual solution to problems was to run away from them as fast as I could. But now Luke was here with me, anchoring me down, keeping me from sprinting.

I couldn’t tell if I was grateful or furious.

I needed to get out of here, that’s what my restless legs were telling me. Out, out, out, away!

 “Delilah.” Luke said, softly. “Please sit down.”

I swallowed and turned to face him and his pleading face from his vantage point on the couch.

He looked relaxed, but appearances were deceiving. I knew that under that slouching pose, his muscles were tensed, ready to leap up at the slightest movement from me, and that the pleading gaze masked his nerves.

“Luke.” My voice cracked, my feet propelling me to his side. I fell onto the couch, letting him hold me against his chest so my words were muffled. “I’m scared.”

“I know, baby girl.” He murmured. “I’ll keep you safe. I promise.”

But I knew that Luke couldn’t honestly keep that promise. He had no idea what Kyle was capable of.

And to be honest, neither did I, not fully.

But I didn’t want to find out.

*

The concert was going off without a hitch.

Security had been doubled and all knew what Kyle looked like, but there had been no sign of him.