Chapter 14

I'm sorry I've been gone for absolutely forever!!!! In thanks for your patience, I've got 2 chapters that I will post tonight! This one is a bit shorter, mostly because I wanted to give you something as soon as I could!
This is dedicated to baileyrubens for her amazing support! Thanks lovely :)

I woke to the sound of silence.

Complete and utter there’s-no-one-else-alive silence.

Yawning widely, I blinked my eyes open and sat up carefully, checking that I was fully clothed before pushing aside the curtain to my bunk.

The bus was completely empty, and I relished in the peace. Taking my time, I chose clothes to reflect my mood before heading off to the shower.

I took my sweet time: singing, shaving and washing my hair. I stepped out and massaged peach coconut moisturiser onto my skin.

Then I brushed my dark hair out, so it rippled down my back in limp wet curls. Finally I got dressed, too lazy to really care what I was wearing.

I wore a pair of blue and purple tie-dye denim shorts tucked into a black Micky Mouse t-shirt and my black saltwater sandals.

Then I folded my arms and frowned.

Maybe the peace had been nice for a time, but now it was just weird.

I ventured outside to see we were still in the fenced off carpark of Thebarton Theatre.

There were a few fangirls lingering by the fence, but no boys, Jules or Emilia in sight.

Weird.

They started waving and screaming as they saw me walk by and I grinned and waved at them until I reached the theatre door.

Would I ever get used to having fans?

With a huff, I pulled my hair into a messy high bun to get it off my neck in the sweltering heat, and wandered inside, finding myself at the back of the lower rows of seats facing the stage.

Finally I felt air conditioning. I breathed a sigh of relief.

Glancing around, I noticed there was still no one to be seen and I scowled.

I plopped into a seat, feeling the frown lines settle on my forehead.

Almost immediately, a sharp memory of my mother sent goosebumps racing across my arms.

“Don’t frown, Delilah.” Mum smiled, smoothing her thumb over the lines on my forehead. “You’re too beautiful to frown.”

“But I’m angry!” I snapped, pushing her hand away.

Mum just leaned against the counter and smiled. “Smile through the anger.” She said. “Don’t let anyone know you’re hurt or sad or angry. Just smile.”

I shivered, coming back to the present and blinking away tears.

Frustration with everything and everyone prickled across my skin. I patted the arm of the faded red leather chair and got to my feet, intent on finding a single living soul.

I walked over to the stage and hoisted myself up on a flying leap.

“Ouch.” I muttered, getting to my feet and rubbing my sore hip.

“You alright, Delilah?” The cheerful voice came from my right and I spun around.

Laurie was seated at the piano, swinging her legs and smiling at me.

I gave her a sheepish grin. “I thought I was alone.”

“I can go.” Laurie jumped to her feet. “If you want me to.”

“No, that’s not what I meant!” I flushed. “I just meant that I wouldn’t have done that if I knew someone was here.”

Laurie laughed, high and tinkling like a bell, and sat down again in a swirl of patterned skirt.

Her auburn curls were out of their usual bun today and they tumbled down her shoulders almost to her waist, contrasting prettily against her bright yellow tank top.

Laurie’s fingers flew across the keys, music flowing from her fingertips.

I recognised the song instantly and stepped closer to the piano.

And if you see my reflection in the snow covered hills

Well maybe the landslide will bring it down

Oh, oh the landslide will bring it down.” I sang the song softly, almost to myself.

“You know Fleetwood Mac?” Laurie stopped playing to glance at me.

I shrugged. “They’re my dad’s favourite band.”

“Who’s yours?”

“I don’t have one.”

Laurie nodded, pursing her lips slightly, like she was hoping for a different answer.

“What’s yours?” I asked, hoping to continue the conversation.

Laurie smiled. “Probably my boyfriend. He plays the banjo. Or Missy Higgins.”

“Your boyfriend plays the banjo?”

“Yes. He’s pretty good too.”

“That’s cool.”

There was another pause, and I tried to figure out a way to ask where everyone was without sounding like an ungrateful person, Laurie began to speak.

“If you’re wondering where your friends are, they left about an hour ago. Something about bowling.”

“Oh.” My shoulders slumped before I could stop them. They’d all gone out without me? “Why didn’t they wake me?”

“I don’t know, darling.” Laurie shrugged sympathetically. “Do you want to come out with Ollie and I?”

“Out where?”

“Just out for coffee in the city.”

I pondered this for a moment. I generally didn’t like hanging out with people I didn’t really know by myself. But I was really feeling the sting of being left behind by all my friends. So I nodded.

“Sure.” I put a smile on my face. “Sure, sounds good.”

“Smile through the anger. Don’t let anyone know you’re hurt or sad or angry. Just smile.”

And not for the first time, I wondered if Mum would be proud of me.