Chapter 63

AND HERE'S THE CHAPTER YOU'VE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR

It's my personal favourite :)

The only thing left after this is the Epilogue :(

I hope you enjoy this chapter and that you have enjoyed the tumultuous trip that was Hey There, Delilah.

Lots of love being sent your way.

I stepped out into the murky and warm night air, closing the door with a click behind me.

My eyes widened as I took in Luke’s tired and bedraggled appearance.

“Luke? What the hell are you doing here?” I demanded in shock.

“You broke your promise.” He said, simply.

His words were a punch to the gut.

Bags from sleepless nights supported his tired blue eyes. Exhaustion lined every feature.

I was worried just looking at him.

“What? Come inside, Luke. Come on.”

“You said you’d never leave me. You left.”

“Luke, you’re exhausted. Please just come inside.” I reached for his hand but he pulled it away with anger uncharacteristic to his personality.

Hurt was making him furious.

I knew the feeling.

“I want to talk to you, Delilah.” He snapped. “I want answers.”

“You didn’t want to talk before!” I said, sharply, his tone instantly getting my dormant anger up. “You were all too happy to ignore me then!”

“I had every right to be angry!”

“I’m not saying you didn’t!”

“Then what are you saying?” Luke shouted. And there it was. The question he’d been trying and failing to ask me for days. “What do you want from me, Del? Why do you keep running?”

I flinched back from his raised voice and bit my lip, glancing around at the neighbours’ houses.

“Can we take this inside, please?” I asked, softly. “The neighbours will all hear.”

Clenching his jaw, Luke nodded.

With a deep breath, I turned around and opened the door, letting Luke follow me in.

My ears were hypersensitive to his footsteps following mine as we walked down the hallway, past the lounge room and a bathroom and into the kitchen, which lay adjacent to the small staircase.

Dad looked up as I walked in, a smile on his lips. “Who was it, darling?”

Luke popped his head around the door, forcing a smile onto his chapped red lips. “Hi, Peter.”

“Luke!” Dad’s smile widened to a grin and he walked over to clap Luke on the shoulder. “How are you doing, son?”

“Great, thanks.” Luke replied. “Yeah.”

“I didn’t know you were heading down.” Dad said, conversationally, returning to the fry pan.

“Neither did I.” Luke sent a not-so-subtle glance my way.