Chapter 2

“Luke?” My voice sounded strange. I hadn’t seen this boy in years, the ex-best-friend that smashed my heart to pieces. “You’re in 5SOS?”

“Did you say Delilah?” Another familiar voice piped up. A dark-skinned and dark-haired boy with velvet dark eyes darted around Luke and his gaze found me.  “Delilah Cook! It’s been years!” Calum exclaimed.

“Yeah.” I laughed, shakily. “It has.”

It had been five years precisely since the day I left.

“Delilah!” Another familiar voice called. I saw the tall blonde boy with hair sticking up in all directions. Michael.

There was another tall, blonde boy standing beside him who I didn’t recognise.

“Michael.” I said, without as much enthusiasm.

“What are you doing here?” Michael asked me, grinning.

“Uh, I went to see Johanna.” I said, awkwardly. “Are you guys really 5SOS?”

“For real!” Said the unfamiliar blonde guy. “I’m Ashton, by the way.”

“Delilah.” I said, faintly.

“Del? What’s wrong?” Calum asked, concerned.

“My name is Delilah.” I said, stiffly. “And what’s wrong is I just found out that I have to give up my first big break before it starts!”

“Why?” Luke broke in.

I turned my glare on him, watching as he flinched.

“Because I was supposed to open for a band called 5SOS. But then I met the members.” I hissed, and stormed out.

The door slammed behind me, but I heard it burst open seconds later, footsteps chasing after me.

“Delilah. Delilah!” It was Calum. I wiped my eyes, hastily.

He caught my arm and spun me around, watching me in concern.

“What?” I said, coldly, jerking my arm back.

“Luke never told us what happened.” Calum muttered. “You just vanished off the face of the planet; changed your number, deleted your Facebook. What happened, Del?”

My shoulders sagged. Calum and I had always been the closest, besides Luke and me.

We’d all been the best of friends: Luke, Calum, Jules (my best girl friend) and me. Michael had joined the school later, and he’d joined our group too. He was great; my gaming buddy.

But then the boys started their band, and became serious about it. My mum had gotten sick, but I hadn’t told anyone except Jules.

I had my troubles, and they had theirs. Jules was stuck somewhere in the middle with a serious identity crisis.

My dreams became just that; dreams. While the boys appeared to be on the way to making their dreams a reality, I was stuck in the world of hospitals, depression and fear.

But no one seemed to understand that. Luke and I had fought bitterly; he thought I was blowing my chances, and was frustrated when I didn’t tell him why.

Everyone had always said that Luke and I were perfect for one another, and I’d believed them too. But then he met Alison Sloan, and it was Alison this, Alison that. First came the band, then Alison, then family, and I was a very distant fourth.

Alison hated me; believing that I was trying to steal her boyfriend, even though I would never do that, no matter how much I liked Luke.

Then one day, Alison stooped her lowest, causing a fight between Luke and I that we’d never make up.

I’d gone over to tell him that I was leaving Sydney and moving to Melbourne to see a specialist because of my mum’s illness.

But Alison was there, with her signature smirk, and Luke’s eyes had been tight with fury and I had been so confused.

Lies flew out of Alison’s mouth, claiming I’d slapped her, abused her, called her names and told her that she wasn’t good enough for Luke.

The only thing that stung worse than Luke’s supposed agreement to her accusations was the look of complete hurt and betrayal in his beautiful blue eyes.

I left the next day without telling anyone except Jules. We’d become closer than ever after Luke met Alison.

I’d changed my number, deleted my Facebook, and when Dad said we’d have to move to Melbourne permanently, I didn’t argue.

And when Mum died, I realised that I’d lost everything.

I looked at Calum. His brow was creased in worry. “Delilah?”

“Nothing, Calum. You’d better go to your meeting.” I walked away then, and I didn’t look back.