Chapter 53

Sorry for the late update!

Life is very hectic, even though I am now on holidays!!! And I'm headed overseas for a week in a few days, so that may delay updates too! SORRY!

Thank y'all for sticking with this story and I love you all lots!

PS-if anyone was interested, my music inspiration for this chapter was Resolution by Matt Corby. :)

I went for a run with Jules in the early hours of the morning, to clear my head.

We didn’t speak; she simply let me run my confusion out.

Finally, I couldn’t go any further.

Gasping desperately for breath, I stumbled to a stop, my knees buckling slightly beneath me as I slid to the ground.

“Jesus, Del.” Jules panted, falling down beside me. “When did you start doing exercise?”

“Oh.” I wheezed, getting back to my feet. “About an hour ago.”

Jules shot me a half-hearted glare as I pulled her to her feet. “You could have told me that before we started running.”

“Sorry?” I offered, giving her a sheepish grin. “How about breakfast on me?”

“Done.”

We gave Tony a smile and friendly greeting as we walked back inside the arena gates and into the tour bus.

Seeing as it was only seven-fifteen, all the sleepyheads on our bus weren’t awake.

Sensing that I didn’t want other company, Jules opted out of a shower, choosing to rinse off her sweat with a face-washer like me.

We changed quickly: Jules into a sleeveless, white, cotton button-up cotton shirt and high waisted, loose black shorts with black sandals and me into a pale blue skater dress, with thick straps, a sweetheart neckline and a pleated skirt with my own white sandals.

We both applied makeup and grabbed our phones and wallets.

Again, no one was awake.

I took the note that we’d scribbled before we went running off the table, flipped it over and wrote a new one:

Dear guys & dolls,

We’ve gone for breakfast. Depending on how much we love you, there may be leftovers brought back but don’t count on it ;)

Love, Jules & Delilah

Then we stepped back outside and left the carpark, waving goodbye to Tony. I mentally made a note to bring him back a coffee.

As we walked down the streets I reveled in the sunshine. Despite only being before eight-o’clock, the temperature was already high.

The streets became more familiar and with this realisation, happy memories from my childhood came flooding back.

Of the dozens of Sunday mornings where Luke and I rode our bikes or scooters into the edges of the city.

Of the time Jules and I decided to teach ourselves to rollerblade down at the park.

Of counting how many steps it took to cross the Sydney Harbour Bridge.

Of afternoons spent in Michael’s den playing video games and eating chips.