Chapter 36

Quite short & quite filler-y, but very cute and it made me happy to write it.

I'm sorry if things don't seem to be getting anywhere, I'm not working at the pace I was hoping to, but I'm giving it my best shot! 

Thank you all for your support & love on this story; it means the world to me!

“You coming?” Luke asked, his voice low.

It was the first thing he’d said to me since I caught him and Alison talking by the bus.

I shook my head. “I’m not tired.”

“Please don’t pull that with me.” Luke sighed. “I know you, it won’t work. I’m sorry, ok? We were just talking, no matter what Alison made it look like.”

I shrugged. “I’m not your mum. It doesn’t matter to me who you talk to.”

“It sure looks like it.” Luke scoffed, sitting down beside me. “I’ll stay up with you then.”

“I’m going to bed.”

“Then come with me.”

“Luke!”

He merely raised an eyebrow and waited.

I deflated, too numb to really fight him. “Whatever.”

“Good. Get changed then.”

With a huff and a glare, I zipped myself into my bunk and wriggled into my cotton shorts and Monsters Inc. baggy t-shirt.

For a moment, I lay there on my bed, glaring at the panels of the bed above and contemplating pretending to fall asleep.

Then I sighed, knowing Luke would come and get me anyway and let myself out, shivering slightly in the air conditioning.

I frowned, traipsing over to turn it down. It was probably Em, she always gets hot really easily.

“Hurry up.” Luke yawned. “I’m tired.”

“I’m fine.” I said, softly. “Really.”

“Somehow, I just don’t believe you.”

I frowned, but followed him to his bunk, letting him get in first and clambering in afterwards, letting him wrap his arms around me.

“Your hair is nice.” Luke mumbled. “I like it better natural.”

“Mm.” I yawned. “Me too.”

“How was the signing?”

“Weird.”

He chuckled softly, reverberating through my back, which was pressed against his chest. “How?”

“People know me. They like me. They want photos and autographs and things like that. It’s weird.”

“You deserve it. You’ve worked so hard for this, been through so much.”

“I don’t think I deserve anything.”

Luke paused. “Why?”

“I haven’t done anything good like you guys.”

“Del…” Luke sounded upset and I closed my eyes.