Chapter 22

Do I have exams very soon? YES!!!
Am I studying for them? Currently, no.
This story is my form of procrastination, dammit.

Love to all of you gorgeous people who liked these chapters & followed me! <3 xx

Sometime after Michael stopped singing, the bus started moving.

I stayed in my bunk for a while, selfishly, trying to calm my outward appearance.

When we stopped, finally in Cairns, I forced a smile on my face, got out and stretched.

I swallowed tightly, watching as everyone’s eyes shot to me.

Stella was back on Michael’s lap, this time sleeping with her head on his shoulder. Em was enveloped in Calum’s arms, him resting his chin on the top of her head. Jules was leaning against Ash and he had one arm around her shoulders. Luke sat on his own, looking uncomfortable.

My smile relaxed. “Hey guys.”

“Hey, Del. Feeling any better?” Jules asked.

Oddly enough, I did feel better. I’d dozed a little, soothed by the movement and Michael’s voice. I felt refreshed, and a little heartened by the care shown to me by my friends, even when some of them didn’t know anything was wrong.

“Yeah. Actually, I am. A lot better.” The grey haze had lifted. I still felt sad, but no longer as lonely. I’d had time to reflect. Maybe happiness wasn’t as far away from me as I thought it was. “What are we doing?”

“Dinner time!” Ashton cheered, jumping to his feet and doing a crazy dance, causing Jules to laugh and remind him that he was an idiot.

“Where are we off to then?” I asked, wrinkling my nose at my clothes. “I might get changed.”

“Don’t dress up.” Em said, peeking out from Cal’s arms. “It’s just a casual dinner. Some restaurant somewhere.”

“On a pier!” Stella piped up.

I grinned immediately at Luke, Jules, Calum and Mike. “Remember when Callie fell off the pier?”

They burst out laughing at the memory from primary school.

“She was such a show off with those gymnastics tricks.” Jules sniffed. “I never liked her.”

“She was furious that you laughed, Cal.” Mike interjected. “She had the biggest crush on you.”

Luke laughed harder. Callie hadn’t been the nicest of girls.

Em pretended to scowl. “What’s this? Another girl?”

“She wasn’t as beautiful as you, babe.” Calum assured her, smiling softly.

Em giggled and blushed, pecking him lightly on the cheek.

I rolled my eyes, smiling. “Give me two minutes.”

I rifled around in my suitcase, pulling up various items and then vanishing into the bathroom to change.

Concealer covered the darkish circles under my eyes and mascara made my eyes look a little brighter.

I flipped my hair into a messy bun on top of my head, letting a few springy curls dangle about my face.