Chapter 23

Much as I wanted to leave you on that cliffie for a while....I just couldn't do it!!!! I really love this chapter & it needed to be written, so I felt the need to publish it!!!!

Dun dun duuuuuuun it's time for Luke and Delilah to......TALK. 

Booyah.

Enjoy!!!!

When I hit the water, I had about two short seconds to wonder if I had died.

It was freezing, cold seeping into every single pore of my skin and into my bones, winding through my hair and shooting up my nose.

I wanted to scream, but I couldn’t open my mouth, afraid of breathing in salt water.

I screwed my eyes open, flapping my hands to clear the bubbles that my crash into the water had caused.

Which way was up?

Oh hell. Bloody hell.

Where was up?

I couldn’t drown on my mother’s death anniversary, how twisted is that?

I glanced to where I thought was up, and saw a faint, wobbly light shining down.

Up. Success.

Kicking steadily, I made my way to the surface, breaking the clear water above me and gasping a deep, needed breath, rubbing stinging water out of my eyes with the palms of my hand.

There was another massive splash nearby and I sank below the water in shock.

The salt made me unable to see anything, so I resurfaced, coughing.

I saw the outline of the pier and, almost blindly, I groped for the rungs of the ladder.

I grabbed something, but instead of cool metal, it was human flesh.

I screamed, choking when a hand slapped over my mouth.

Blinking water furiously out of my eyes, I relaxed when I saw Luke’s blue eyes glaring at me.

“What the hell were you thinking?” He snapped, removing his hand.

I removed my arm, catching sight of the ladder and darting over towards it. I gripped the first rung, but he grabbed my free hand before I could climb.

“Delilah! Tell me what the hell is going on?” Luke shouted. “Why the hell would you jump off a pier into the water in the darkness? Anything could have been down there! You could have hit something, been hurt!”

“You’d have liked that, wouldn’t you?” I sneered, flipping hair out of my face. It had come out of its bun sometime during the fall. “No more Delilah in the way of you and Alison.”

“Is that what this is about?” Luke demanded. “For God’s sake…”

“Stop!” I snapped. “Stop judging me! You don’t know anything, Luke Hemmings, and I have made it my life’s goal to keep it that way, so just leave me alone!”

Shocked, Luke’s grip went slack, allowing me to shake him off and climb to the top of the pier.

The others were gathered together. Em was crying. Jules was hiding her smile behind her hair. The others looked worried.