Almost

Blake PoV

The metallic tang of blood filled the air making my fangs push against my gums, my mouth watered more and more with every rushed step I took.

I pushed myself to my limits using the scent of blood to drive me towards my destination. My entire body ached and my veins throbbed against my skin as my goal began to blur.

I tried hard to refocus, separating the need to support Jace and Hayden in whatever shitshow they'd gotten themselves into as opposed to draining each and every one of the enemy dry of their blood, despite how fucking glorious that sounded. I had to get there to have Jaces back, Eden would never forgive me if I allowed my own greed to come above Jace's life.

So I pushed down the savage beast that existed deep within me and focused my hearing on the situation ahead of me instead.

There were ferocious growls from at least fifteen different wolves and that didn't include Jace and Hayden so they really did need our help and fast.

They were hugely outnumbered and no matter how strong and skilled a fighter Jace was, there was no way he could take on that many wolves at once.

Finally I could see the fight in the clearing not far ahead of us and the bitter smell of born rogues permeated the air, weighing down upon us like a heavy cloud of grey smog.

"Fucking rogues" I snarled loudly to my coven, my kin and my family.

"I'm guessing they were here to deliver some sort of message or make their allegiances known" Alex drifted his eyes over to me before narrowing them in on the battle scene.

"And it ain't our side" Caleb added, shaking his head in disappointment. A cruel smirk then stretched across his face as if he'd just signed the rogue's death warrants right then and there.

"Need a hand?" Grinning at the sheer carnage before me and full of adrenalineI couldn't wait to get stuck in so I cracked my knuckles and let my fangs break through my gums, relishing the light prick of my lower lip.

Jace shifted into his Human form once he saw us and Hayden followed him.

"Glad you could join in the fun" Jace Chuckled, taking in the scene of dead wolves and a sudden formation of retreat in those that were left.

They were both bloodied and panting but didn't seem badly injured despite the numerous scratches and bite marks that littered their bodies. They'd heal faster as a human anyway and us being here would give them a chance to regain their strength.

Once we'd gotten close enough my brothers and Seb had taken off further into the forest and I let my gaze run across the wolves that were left. They looked worn down, confused but unsure of their next move.

But their fear was a vile, revolting taste upon my tongue. To my kind, fear tasted disgusting yet the blood of the fearful always tasted that much sweeter.

"They work for the Fathers who have apparently offered Eden out to them once she's of no use to them anymore" Hayden explained to me, Jace's eyes flamed with fury at those words. That fury bounced between us like a ball of fire that built more and more with each moment that passed.

"Is that so? Our mate is to be used as nothing but an object for you filthy mutts to play with? She'd be a toy, A plaything? " I turned from my allies to the rogues and posed the question in the most calm and collected manner I could despite the molten lava of hate and anger that boiled beneath my flesh.

"The fathers will toss her out like garbage once they are through with her. She's nothing to them. That's what they told us" the largest man stepped forward and straightened his shoulders making himself appear as threatening as possible.

"I don't give a flying fuck what The Fathers say. They are delusional pricks and anyone that's dumb enough to follow them.. well you are just complete and utter morons. But do you know what I do care about? Do you know what really matters to me?" These wolves were nothing but dumb idiots who had so little to live for that they fell for the words of madmen.

I almost pitied them.

Almost.

"Umm no.. what?" A slightest older greying man asked as he took position next to the first.

"Eden. My beautiful, amazing, kind and sweet mate Eden. She's not a toy. She's not a plaything. She's so much more than any of you could imagine" my answer was sincere and my heart swelled with love for my mate.

I would die to protect her. I would do anything for her.

Anything.

"Eden isn't nothing. She's everything. That's why you will all die right here in the middle of this forest" Jace advised them darkly.

"You'll die a terribly painful death. Your screams will echo through the forest and The Fathers will hear you plead for mercy. They will hear their pathetic followers cry out for their help but guess what? ..... they won't come to help you. Nobody is coming to help you" laughing like a maniac I watched as the realisation of their fate hit them and they slowly attempted to retreat.

"Surprise!!" Ethan said as he, Seb and my brothers stepped out of their hiding spots and blocked the rogues path.

There was nowhere to run.

No one was coming to save them.

There was no way out.

Their fate was sealed the moment they fell for The Three Fathers lies.

We were simply here to carry out that tragic fate.

Jace and Hayden shifted in mid air as we all leapt into attack mode and despite more rogues pouring in from the fray to fight it was a futile effort.

I reached out and dug my long nails into the nearest wolf and locked my jaw around their neck and ripped out their throats. The sweet taste of war filling my mouth before I quickly moved onto the next one.

Jace fought in his large brown wolf form, his mouth dragging a rogue by the hind leg until it ripped off and the howl of agony ripped through the woods.
Hayden took the opportunity to pounce on the wounded animal and practically pulled its head from its body. Blood splattering over Hayden's face and soaking his fur. He shook it off like rainwater and flipped around as another rogue advanced upon him.

Jace took on two rogues at once which allowed the black one to take a chunk of of his flank and momentarily weaken him. Seeing this I leapt over Seb that was tussling on the ground and I ripped the black wolf away and snapped his neck.

Jace killed his opponent and gave me a nod of his snout to thank me.

Not fifteen minutes later we withdrew from the battle.
Bloodstained and wounded but alive and victorious we all collapsed to the blood soaked earth to get our breath back.

"Is Eden okay?" Jace asked between heavy breaths.

"Daisy is with her. She made quite the show earlier. She's an incredible Luna" despite what we'd just been through I smiled brightly, so proud of how strong and amazing our mate truly was.

"She's a force to be reckoned with huh?!" Jace laughed equally as proud of her.

"Oh yeh, but just think.. she's gonna kick your ass for leaving like that when you get back" the look of panic flashed through Jace's eyes before he rolled his eyes and chuckled lightly.

He knew he was in big trouble and I couldn't wait to watch. Hell, maybe I'd get some popcorn and settle back and enjoy it!

But he was alive and that was the main thing.We had succeeded this time, but I knew we had far greater battles ahead of us. Fighting our crazy ass fathers wasn't going to be easy. I just hoped we'd all make it out in one piece.