Brothers know best part two

Eden PoV

"Fuck,I feel so bad even thinking this shit let alone saying it outloud Cole. But it's Jace. I'm really worried about him" I said in a baited breath.

"In what sense?" He pushed me with a curious tone.

"Many freakin senses if I'm honest. When I was in The Void I saw the Silverhaven crones. Amongst other things they told me that as long as he is mortal he won't make it through tomorrow. He won't survive Cole!! They sounded completely certain that as a mortal he had zero chances of living past tomorrow. I think they were trying to tell me something" my words were so painful that my voice cracked in raw anguish. "It was the way they kept referring to him as 'mortal' Over and Over" I added to explain in more detail.

"You think they were telling you to turn him before tomorrow?" He blew out a long breath but didn't seem that shocked.

"Yes, I think that's exactly what they were hinting at. But he'd never agree to it. I know Jace. He'd never admit to even the possibility of him dying or failing. He'd never let me turn him. I'm sure of that"

"Fuck that's a pretty big problem but the real question is if you trust the crones. Is that all that concerns you about him?" He asked me with a supportive look.

"He thought his dad was dead for years, Cole. He isn't sure how he'll react when he sees him. I saw the doubt in his eyes. He asked me what it was like to kill mum. I couldn't lie to him so I was completely honest. I told him how much of a monster it made me and he seemed to be taken back by that. I'm not sure he has it in him to become a monster. He is too good a man to fully surrender to the darkness. I love him so much and I respect him as an alpha but I am worried that he won't be able to handle the low levels we might have to stoop to in order to succeed. He isn't a monster. But what if it's monsters we need in order to win?" The betrayal I felt to my own mate was bleeding out from every artery in my body.

It hurt all over like a physical wound.

I hated myself for it. But it was my greatest fear.

What if Jace couldn't become a monster and be dark enough to survive?

"Better to be an immortal monster than a dead man" my big brother's words were blunt and brutal yet so wise to my current predicament.

"Shit" I uttered as I met his eyes and they reflected a confident and strong ally in my future actions.

I knew right in that moment exactly what I needed to do. Cole realised it too and he gave me another hug and held me in his arms and gave me a silent acknowledgment that I had made the right decision.

"I'll be here for you Eden. Always" he offered me strength and support that I hadn't even realised I needed until he said it and I felt it between us like a tangible object that bound us together again. "Now how about we go back indoors in the warm. I've got a few things to show you and a gift or two" Cole's navy irises lit up like fireworks which made me think back in time.

I recalled how much he enjoyed giving presents as a kid.

He was weird that way, he got far more joy from giving a gift and seeing the recipients reaction than getting a gift himself. Super weird!

But my ears definitely perked up at the sound of gifts! I was intrigued by what he had to show me as well and we headed back inside the packhouse straight away.

We slipped off our coats and hung them up next to the radiator and kicked off our shoes too. I nearly tripped over because I was so eager to find out what he had to give me.